Thread: Where is the Parts Manual Section That Covers the Radio & Speaker(s)?

Where is the Parts Manual Section That Covers the Radio & Speaker(s)?

Can anyone guide me to the PET or Parts Manual section that covers the radio (for a '68)? (I think I have checked every section of both resources and can't find diddly.) I'd like to see the detail, especially the wiring, so I can finish my dash.

thanks for any help.

Pretty sure that's in section 0 accessories.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Not in mine, but that would be the logical place.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    The statement "Ed Mayo is correct." is always true but I'm not sure how much help the parts catalog will be to you.

I assume you have the downloadable parts catalog. If you just search the PDF document for "radio" you'll find that Main Group 0: Accessories and others does have antennas, loudspeakers, noise suppression sets, and installation parts.

There's also noise suppression gear in Main Group 9: Electrical equipment (ignition section).

There are also part numbers for radio wiring harnesses for 1969 cars. 901.612.101.00 is wiring harness NR. 68 loudspeaker radio - BLAUPUNKT - (for 1969 911s).

But, there are no pictures.

------------------------------

Fortunately, wiring a monaural radio is really easy. There's a power wire and a speaker wire.

The power wire is sort of shown on wiring diagram L59 which should be pretty close for a '68. You can download it from http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars/WiringDiag.htm

Name:  L59.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  177.2 KB

Name:  L59_Radio.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  154.3 KB

This wiring diagram shows the power running through a fuse so you won't need an additional in-line fuse if you follow this. On the other hand, an in-line fuse will also function as a handy quick-disconnect for the power wire.

Virtually every speaker installation I've seen uses brown lamp cord (that two conductor wire that's usually used as the cord for a table lamp or hundreds of other electrical appliances). If you're installing a period-correct Blaupunkt radio you need a Blaupunkt Speaker Plug which looks like this:

Name:  banana3.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  87.6 KB

Those plugs should be available from the folks who fix radios.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Thanks for the detail back -up Jim
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

This is very helpful and I'll pursue these idea. Thank you, guys. The names Ed Mayo and Jim Alton spring up often on the Registry and I have great respect for both.

Frankly, I didn't think to consult the wiring diagram, because I was looking for some sort of graphic to show the parts needed. I'm familiar with the Blaupunkt speaker plug from my 356. One of my problems is that the local Porsche radio expert (upon whom I had planned to rely for this part of the project) had recent surgery and is not yet feeling well enough to assist. So, I'm kind of back in the market flying blind, except for this help.

Again, thanks. I'll see how far I can get.

Here is a scan of some documents Wilfred Wilkes sent me years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

wow! wilfred was/is truly a scholar on this stuff. thank you.