Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poster Obsession

Poster Obsession

I have been collecting Porsche factory racing posters for over 30 years and have over 500, actually I have no idea how many I have. Like anything else, a poster is worth what somebody is willing to pay. When these posters are offered for sale in a retail setting by a poster dealer the prices can double from what a long time collector would pay.

There are a couple of factors that determine the value.
    1. The age of the poster
    2. The very early 1951-1953 posters are worth the most – mainly because in collections of anything, the first ones are worth the most.
    3. The Race location ( LeMans, Daytona, Targa Florio, etc.), the famous tracks add interest, and value to a poster.
    4. What is shown in the picture – the 1970 Targa Florio showing Jo Sieffert coming around a corner in a 908 is particularly nice.
    5. And for the serious collectors condition is what determines the final price.

The 77 Mugello and the 88 Nurburgring are quite common. In the early 1990’s Porsche sold a mystery pack of posters at a price of $5 each, both of these posters were in there. These posters are often seen for $75-$125 each, but if somebody is not “in the know” and they just want a cool poster to hang on the wall they can trade hands for $200-300 each. And the guy who just wants some wall art does not care so much about condition.

The Two Daytona posters are good ones, especially to people that like 911 RSR’s, 917’s, or the 24 Hour of Daytona race. The drivers in these posters are also very interesting, Hurley Haywood, Paul Newman, Milt Minter, Mark Donohue, Bob Wollek, and many more. These posters would sell to a collector in the $200-$300 range (each), these posters being sold in a retail setting to a guy looking for wall art could be in the $300-$500.

The 72 Renn Termine is just a great picture of the backside of a 917 engine, depending on condition, collectors would pay $200-300, and you would see this poster sell in a retail environment for $300-$500.

One of my favorite posters below. The story of the McQueen poster is that Porsche did not obtain permission from the company that had the rights to use the face of Steve McQueen so Porsche could not distribute the poster. The story is that the McQueen posters were thrown away - can anybody add personal knowledge to this story? Anybody have any idea how many McQueen posters might have been originally produced?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Orbit; 08-14-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Great post copied from a for sale ad about collecting factory posters...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I have about 30 original posters. I can't afford to get them framed.

Richard Newton

Orbit:

Loved your post!

I've been collecting Porsche factory posters since 1968 and at one time was within maybe a dozen of having a complete set. Back in The Old Daze, I bought collections and helped others assemble their own collections. Counting duplicates, I have had as many as 1,000 (guessing) but eventually decided to sell all but a few favorites. Since 2007 I've been officially retired but selling posters and books through my business, Toad Hall Motorbooks (www.toadhallbook.com). Even had the experience of photographing the very first Porsche poster for Lewandowski's 2008 edition:

Name:  IMG_6578a.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  141.4 KB

One of my most interesting jobs was to find posters to match about 50 cars in a major Porsche collection: matching the images to the cars. If you need any posters, let me know, or visit the LA Porsche literature meet next March.
    Last edited by Frank Barrett; 08-15-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: For the pure unmitigated hell of it.

So the first Porsche poster was in French... quite ironic.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

More Posters Please...

Hello Mr Frank Barrett

We have spoken thru the years and I have bought a few books from you as well. About 30 years ago you were the one that actually got me started with my poster obsession. You were selling "as-new" Porsche factory racing posters from the early 70's for around $100 each. You had each poster shrink-wrapped and safely put into 2 inch diameter cardboard tubes. Even though I had no money back then, somehow I got my hands on around $1500. I remember agonizing over which posters I would buy, and which posters would have to be left behind. Maybe you remember that poster sale?

I would be very interested what you think about my valuations. Since I am a Porsche Poster Hoarder I am more knowledgeable about the buying side of the poster business.

This forum has some real poster experts moving thru it - who else is willing to come out of the Poster Closet???

If anybody has any factory racing posters they want to get rid of .... call me ( but don't tell my wife or I might get that intervention she has threatened!).

Rodger@orbitracing.com
    Last edited by Orbit; 08-18-2016 at 05:33 PM.

SOrry for the thread drift, is there any reproductions availables @ reasonables costs?

I'd love to have a couple of the racing posters, but couldn't afford original ones.

Thx

Olivier.

Great posts about posters and collecting!! I too am a compulsive collector of Porsche stuff, posters, sales literature, workshop manuals, parts books, color charts, accessory catalogs, 1/43 & 1/18 Porsche models, Distler Tin Porsche Models, and the list goes on. I've been collecting for more than 45 years! But now, at age 72, I faced with "What do I do with them now?" My wife certainly doesn't want this stuff! My grown kids are indifferent! Selling all this stuff item by item on eBay seems like an endless task. I even offered my 1/18 scale Porsche model collection to the local fire departments to give them to their kids! They were very nice, and explained that by law they could not accept gifts or contributions. What was once a really fun all-consuming hobby, has now become a problem. So be careful you don't collect so much stuff that you can't figure out how to get rid of the items.

Charlie White
    Scottsdale, Arizona

Hello Charlie White

We have never met but your knowledge of literature and all things Porsche is well established. I remember buying the Porsche Factory Tour booklet from you, probably in the early 1990's. It is always mesmerizing to look at the faces in those Black and White photos, the men that were just doing their job - they had no idea what was being "made by hand" would generate a cult-like following.

The Porsche factory racing posters chronicle important racing moments that gave Porsche the momentum to build their sports cars for the discerning few. Behind those early posters were Erich Strenger and Richard von Frankenberg - maybe you know of a book or an early Christophorus that tells the story of these two men?

Rodger@orbitracing.com
    Last edited by Orbit; 08-18-2016 at 07:17 PM.

I remember meeting Erich Strenger at I think it was a PCA Parade years ago. I had brought a bunch
    of duplicate Porsche Sales Literature items to sell and trade. I ended up meeting Erich Strenger, and
    having a lengthy conversation with him, thru an interpreter! He was very interested in seeing the
    original Porsche literature items I had brought to the event to trade. He ended up autographing
    all of them which, of course, I didn't offer for sale. I still have all of them in my collection.

Charlie White