Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1969 911s Factory Air

1969 911s Factory Air

Hello,
    I am hoping someone can help me out with some details pertaining to the 1969 factory installed air conditioning. I am in the process of restoring the factory installed AC system on a 1969 911s. The only problem is I am missing half of the components. I do have the compressor, dash knee pad vents, and everything in the smugglers box, but missing everything else. I am hoping someone can help me out with pictures showing the details of the way the hoses were routed, drier and condenser mounting, hose clamps and fittings, and anything else that could be helpful.

Thanks for your help

Many people think they have factory air, only to find out its really aftermarket dealer installed. Do you have a front condenser? Do the dash vent replace the original knee guard, or is the vent section bolted on over the knee guard. Does the compressor mount to the chain housing bolts, or to the engine mount console?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for the reply.
    I am 100% positive it's factory air. It's not only listed on the Kardex but the details of the vehicle confirms this. It's definitely not dealer installed, I've seen those installs. Just looking for some help with making sure I restore and install the system as close to the way the factory did it. I know the red hoses Porsche used aren't available any longer unless something has changed on that. I can't seem to find any references on how the hoses were routed, mounting of the front condenser, if the drier was fastened to the bracket on the left fender joining panel with hose clamps or ???, etc.

Does anybody have an early AC car and are willing to share a few pictures?

We'd love to see some pictures of your car...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Banned
    Thread posted by Gib a few years ago. Shows much of the lay out.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...tory-AC-System

A few little nuances including the receiver drier bracket. Mounts to the left front inner wheel well with 2 screws; drier hose clamps mount to that.
    Most people forget the wire screen on evap inlet as well.

Thats great info Frank. Thanks for the heads up. Do you know if the front condenser on a '69 was mounted under the front like in that thread, or was it in the left front wheel well? I've been told it was the latter, but it seems there isn't much info on factory installed AC being that it was rare. Fortunately I do have the bracket that mounts to the left fender joining panel.

Banned
    You've being given faulty info. Behr factory A/C only used the condenser up front and the one on the engine lid.
    Factory A/C wasn't that rare; at least here in the desert.

Humor us; please post pics of your parts. We've showed you ours; now show us yours. It will benefit you greatly in the long run.

Factory done Behr will also have windshield washer bottle mounting bracket spot welded to trunk floor, since it can't mount in usual location.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for the help. If any body has any other '69 specific info or pictures regarding the factory AC, I'm all ears. 1969 Factory air seems to be rare since I can't find any info pertaining to this specific year, which I believe is the first year of the true factory air. If this is the case, I am wondering if anything changed after Porsches first year of factory installed AC. I have been searching for answers for about two months. This is one area on the early 911s that I am unfamiliar with, so I appreciate everyones input.

Frank, the car is apart right now and is nearing completion on the rust repairs/metalwork stage. I am not the owner of the car, but will ask permission if I can share a few photos.

Banned
    Outside of some fairly insignificant wiring differences I believe '69 was the same as 70-73? There are some bits that are becoming a challenge to find. One is the front condenser fan. It fits into a rectangular duct above the condenser that's spot welded into the trunk floor. Looks like this:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...blower-housing