Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's this ?

What's this ?

Cleaning my engine compartment while engine getting rebuilt.
    73.5 CIS ....removing components for cleaning and found a plug that had been taped as well as wires not used. See photos . The tape seems quite old so done quite awhile ago ...was this factory? Or
    Is this due to the change to CIS and harness was typical for MFI ?
    Input please
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  122.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  119.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  134.0 KB
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

There are a couple of connectors not used on the '73 cis. Here are photos of mine, as well as a diagram I made of the wiring.
    The round auxiliary starting relay is unused, and the rectangular speed switch relay is not needed. The only fuse that needs to be installed is the upper, which is number 3.
    Yours was slightly modified by previous owners.
    Name:  ElecRearPanel01.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  95.6 KBName:  ElecRearPanel02.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  91.9 KBName:  ElecRearPanel03.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  100.1 KBName:  1973 CIS Wire.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  85.7 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Thanks....now please comment on the hanging wires front the ground at body in my other photo.
    Thanks for good info.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

Wires for the 2 stage rear defroster.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Shift Knob Maker
    Now there is some good info!! Nice response..

Mark..

Ok....now to trace the wires for the 2 stage rear defrost as I had not disconnected these wires.
    Does it fee up to the rear glass and what do the connections look like so the rear glass.
    Thanks For assistance
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

This is for a targa I am working on, but the two red wires (red/black, red/white) with the two brown wires are for the rear window defroster as described. They go through a hole in upper left front of the engine compartment, into the area under the back window, and in the targa, feed into the rubber seal where they run through the seal and attach to spades attached to the sides of the glass window.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Chuck
    Thanks for info , mine is a coupe but I have spotted the hole with grommet.
    Does the headed loner on inside corner need to come off or the rear shelf?
    Thanks
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6

If the wires aren't hooked up you'll need to remove the window to attach. Probably last guy in there got lazy and didn't do that.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

It does kind of look like the window wires were cut and just pulled down into the engine compartment.

When I faced the same situation as you, I used the factory manual with wiring diagram as well as other resources like this site and the pictures above, and I sketched out all the different wires, plugs, relays, etc until I figured out where everything was supposed to go. Only then did it all make sense, and I could re-create how it was supposed to be set up. I found all kinds of things like plugs and wires for a rear window wiper. Happy hunting!
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S