Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '65 911 door hinge bolts?

'65 911 door hinge bolts?

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to figure out which are the correct type of door hinge bolts for my car. My car (300496) has hex head bolts on the door hinges. When I look on some parts sites, I see Allen head bolts, and they seem to countersink into the hinge brackets. My hex head bolts don't countersink, so there is some slop between the bolts and the hinge. I think mine are original, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know which are correct for this year?

thanks,

Mike Monroe

More so correct for the month of manufacture Your hex bolts are correct as are mine with 1035 they changed soon after April 65

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    301382 also has hex head bolts. I think my car's build date is more likely May 1965.

At any rate, Hex head bolts should be correct for 300496.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Member PSS has an excel spread sheet of early rolling changes by Vin number. PM him nicely and he will send you a copy. Tracks at least 60 change types and would be a very valuable reference for your early car
    Cheers

trdking makes a good suggestion and i would be interested to know what PSS says. to the extent it matters, my car is a swb, so my primary attention would be relevant only for swb cars.

i want to be clear that i do not claim to be an authenticity scholar, but i do not recall seeing any original car with hex head bolts in the doors. i have seen allen head bolts, but i was told that they are not original. despite lacking originality, the allen head (hex-sided) is a lot easier to work with than the 'star-headed' ones that i was told were correct.

it was my understanding that the doors had special bolts with an inset 'star' formation. i do not recall offhand the actual name for the 'star bolts,' but they required a special tool to insert/extract them.

regardless, good luck to you.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    It turns out that the parts catalog shows the change from "hexagon-head bolt" and "pan-head screw." The last hex head bolts were in 911 # 301554 (and 912s # 350244 & 450941).

My car has hex head bolts so I don't have easy reference for what the later pan-head screws really were. Torx wasn't introduced till 1967 so that's not it. They might be what Snap-On calls "Triple-Square"

Name:  STSM12E2.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  38.5 KB

I think this is what I got for the flywheel bolts on my 911.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

The early swb cars had hex heads. I encourage you to reach out to PSS and ask for his detailed spread sheet. He has been working on it with other member cars for over a year. Has lots of cool info on when things changed or disappeared.

If the hinge has a counterbore for the bolt it is the ZN (12 pt. ) if no counterbore then a hex hd. is used.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Yes the early 1965 cars had hex bolts holding the hinges.

They are 14mm across the flat, standard now for that size thread would have a 13mm hex head.

And, yes they would be painted body color because the hinges and bolts were mounted prior to going to the paint shop,
    the pins were removed so the door would be refitted - not needing adjustment after it returned from the paint booth.

The 14mm head bolt is the same as 356 items from the first part of 1965. I am aware of a April 1965 car serial number 300 953 that had original door hinges yet to be removed,
    they were 14mm and the original paint was still solid and unmolested prior to its restoration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Indeedyo correct