Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Your Input: What part joins the master cylinder reservoir to the tubes?

It`s the BRAKES....have to think most of em are really old by now, possibly corroded/ weakened too. Still, a lot of $, I agree....cliff
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrsully View Post
    Jim, are you a fan of bench bleeding the M/C prior to install or just bolt it up, fill res. and let it gravity bleed.?
    That is how I would do it, but then, I'm just a hack. Maybe Ed Mayo will chime in.

Regards

Jim

Since you asked!!! I loosely install the master cylinder, put lots of that Wurth Silicone paste that I use for everything, on the flare ends of the feed tubes, and on the rubber nipples that Jim has shown. Using a pair of extra long hose pliars I grab one of the feed tubes, and between moving the master cylinder and angle the edge of the flare end into the bushing then push up on the master cylinder while pulling down on the flare end. The silicone paste usually makes it all so slippery that the flare end pops into the rubber nipple. It's not a piece of cake, but been doing it this way since 68 when the dual master first came out. As to the bleeding, all I do is fill the reservoir, then either with a person operating brake pedal or with a pressure bleeder, I loosen the brake lines into the master cylinder and watch for fluid to come out. When that happens tighten the lines and proceed to bleed as normal.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thx Mucho, good advice.

If you need new lines then it is quite easy to make them from a suitable thick wall PTFE Tube. If you warm the tube gently it is easy to form and takes a set without problem.

The small steel tubes with flared ends are re-usable and the 'Blue' braided EPDM hose used to connect the tubes to the reservoir is available from Porche in 1m metre lengths.

We have been making our own fill lines for years fill lines for years and they cost less than $50 to make the pair.

I have around 5m of the blue hose in stock and can post a couple of short lengths if this would help.

i have said many times that the Early S Registry offers great value. chris-seven is another example of that. thank you, chris-seven. my personal research here indicates that i can make a pair for about $50, as you said.

i am trying to be sure on sourcing the plastic tubing, and the grommet connecting the steel flare to the master cylinder. i have reconditioned the steel flares. i have the blue hose.

however, i was told yesterday that the master cylinder had two special washers necessary to complete the assembly, so i am checking to see what those are, and where to get them.

finally, the source of all knowledge, jim breazeale, indicates that i would save myself some aggravation by removing the master cylinder and bench-building the master cylinder withe the fill tubes, then installing the entire assembly. i have found that following jim's advice has been helpful, and when i visit EASY in a couple of weeks, i will bring him a 6-pack of my favorite indiana craft IPA beer to show my appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
    If you need new lines then it is quite easy to make them from a suitable thick wall PTFE Tube. If you warm the tube gently it is easy to form and takes a set without problem.

The small steel tubes with flared ends are re-usable and the 'Blue' braided EPDM hose used to connect the tubes to the reservoir is available from Porche in 1m metre lengths.
    I'm giving this a try, I'm wondering about using any type of sealant between the teflon tube and the barbed connection on the metal pipe? I was going to message Chris, but he hasn't been active for a few years.

The metal tube that fits into the master cylinder cleaned up pretty well and the barbs are in good shape. The tubing pushes on fully with a bit of force.

I'm wondering if I should use any sealant (epoxy?) when I fit them together? I don't know if there was any there originally- the other one is on there tight, but it's been there for 50 years. If I do I just have to get the angle of the bends right before it sets up.

The joint feels pretty tight, there are three barbs, and it's only under head pressure from the reservoir, so I'm inclined to just fit them "dry"?
    Name:  20221013_210637.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  135.6 KB
    Name:  20221016_135415.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  105.0 KB

Wow! seeing an old post by chris_seven brings back the memory of some of the amazing input he left us with. Unfortunately time takes it's toll on the early Porsche brain trust. Here's hoping that we have at least 50 more years of Ed Mayo input here!
    Bob B