Thread: Replacing Rubber Seal on Rear Quarter Window.

Replacing Rubber Seal on Rear Quarter Window.

Just noticed the rear quarter window seals are in really rough shape. These are the ones mounted on the movable frame that seals the window frame to the body. Can someone who has replaced these tell me what's involved, how frustrating a task it is? Car is a 74 but the earlier cars are I believe the same. Thanks,
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

It has been a number of months since I did mine and what stands out in my mind is that it was a pita but not impossible. I had no idea of the proper technique (if there is one). I used my large vise to stabilize the window while I was trying to force the seal in place . I used heavy foam pipe insulation on the jaws to avoid any scratches on the glass and did not use too much pressure as the window is a compound curve . I do recall that once I got a section of the rubber seal profile firmly installed in the window extrusion I fixed it with a piece of wide blue masking tape over the window before moving on to the next section. The most difficult part for me was the short radius, aft part of the window. I think I used either soap and water or Armorall to help the process.

I've done a lot of these, use only OEM rubber, use Wurth clear silicone lube, and once you get a section started the rest goes right in. The hardest part is the vertical portion, again, once you get a section started it goes right in. I just do this on a workbench with a fender cover on the bench.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have found when window rubber doesn't slide well in these window channels that undiluted Dawn Dishwashing detergent is great.

Discovered its effectiveness when trying to replace window scrapers (top of door between glass and door, the rubber flap that keeps water from going down into the door). Had tried EVERYTHING. Dawn did the trick. Easy to clean off- just wash it off with water.
    Last edited by Haasman; 08-24-2016 at 07:35 AM.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

I've used Ivory soap.

btw - While you're doing this pull the seat bottom out of the rear area. Check for rust in the seat pans. Rust is fairly common here and it comes from bad seals on these side windows.

Name:  911 Rear Seat Pans Repaired.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  119.0 KB

Also remove the upholstery from the rear deck and look for rust along the rear seam. That rust comes from a bad rear window seal.

Name:  911 Rear shelf Repair.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  36.0 KB

Richard Newton
    Car Tech Thoughts

Thanks guys. Armed with this information I'm going to tackle this tomorrow. I'll report back.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.

Nobody told me how much fun this was going to be. I have one window done and working correctly. I'm going to wait awhile to tackle the second. For some reason I could get the whole thing done except for one or two points where the rubber wouldn't go into the groove. So I'd take it off and try again. Then for some reason I can't document, the rubber would engage easily where it hadn't before, but I'd be challenged elsewhere. Very frustrating. My advice? You can't use enough soapy water. Work on it for a while then take a break and try again. It may take fifteen tries but it will finally go on. I finally achieved success mounting the square-cornered end first, then moving towards the rounded rear end. Then replace on the car very carefully, making sure not to disturb the rubber as you slide the window into position.... you can easily undo all your work.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara

Try undiluted sink soap. Wouldn't think it would make a difference, but it does.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

And if you look closely at the window while you have it out you can see a little imperfection in the forward end of the glass. It's a little circular spot, like the window got shot with a BB. Except all the early windows have it. Weldon told me he thought thats where they held them during manufacturing.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen