Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Monterey Car Week through JZG's lens

2016 Monterey Car Week through JZG's lens

Charles Dickens, my favorite english-language wordsmith said it best in the opening of one of his finest works, 'A Tale of two Cities': It was the Best of Times, it was the worst of times.

His wisdom certainly applies to this year's automotive extravaganza on the Monterey Peninsula. Some of the events surpassed their past editions on all levels, others were little more than tired, burned out rehashes of every past iteration. In addition, as most of you probably heard, the inconsistent and unpredictable weather along California's central coast played its part with sizzling heat a couple of weeks prior to the start of the week, with one particularly large wildfire South of the Monterey Peninsula burning out of control, consuming about 76,000 acres, burning a number of homes and causing pollution and smoke so thick that one Monterey city council woman in a moment of panic proposed cancelling Car Week altogether.........an ill-advised and odious notion that was promptly voted down.

We were all actually very lucky in that the prevailing winds shifted and blew the smoke and ash inland, in a southeasterly direction with minimal effect on the proceedings at Laguna Seca or Pebble Beach as well as the other venues. Currently it is hoped that the fire will be fully contained in mid-September.

The only actual last-minute change in schedule wich had a measurable impact on the event was the significant shortening of Thursday's Tour d'Elegance from its usual 55 miles to a much shorter drive of about 27 miles on a hastily rerouted loop, but the largest change to the rules was that no points would be awarded to the participants, leading many to assume that noone would take part in the drive since there was no point in 'abusing' the cars if one didn't gain a point advantage by going on the drive - nevertheless, quite a few cars were waved off at about 8:00 AM on Thursday in a show of true enthusiasm and celebration.

Traffic problems at some of the events were biblical, for instance, getting out of the Werks Reunion and returning to our house in Carmel, a distance of about 8 miles took almost an hour midday Friday, since other events were being held further East on Carmel Valley Road.

But it all went off, and I and most of my aquaintances who braved it all to attend the week were glad we did. Saw and heard some incredible cars, saw, met and talked to great people, filed away some unforgettable memories and all in all, had a wonderful time. I filled 4 64 and 2 32 GB cards with two cameras, and have finally separated the wheat from the chaff and arrived at the point where I can start to present the promised chronicle of the best vintage / collector car / car guy week anywhere in the western hemisphere.

This will be my largest one-time contribution to the ESReg yet. I have seperated a number of the best images to be sent to John Dilger for potential inclusion in the autumn issue of the ESSES to ensure there are no duplications and have gotten a good start on processing the remainder for posting in this thread. I trust you will all understand that this is a major voluntary undertaking on my part and 'something has to give' as it were, and that something will have to be the amount of my usual windy commentary..........I simply don't have the time because work involved in post-processing and posting the total number of images I intend to present will take much longer than my previous efforts.........however, if there are burning questions about specific cars, I promise to try to provide the information as best I can.

Thanks for looking, and let me assure you that I will do whatever necessary to post one event per day - but no guarantees.

John Z. Goriup
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

The first event on Saturday, Aug.13 was the Pre-Reunion at Laguna Seca..........one of my favorite events of the whole week. Much to the cridit of the much maligned SCRAMP organization, the 'Pre-Historics; as they were known for 35 years, have improved every year, including 2016. Stellar turn-out of cars, ( the featured marque this year was BMW on the occasion of the firm's centennial ), well-organized, no serious accidents and the weather held - in fact. the weather was a photographers delight since it started out overcast and on most days only turned sunny later in the day when I had gotten most of the images I wanted.

The first car I encountered after turning the corner into Canepa's pit area was the blue / yellow '62 Ferrari 250 GTO......when that is how the day and the week start, you just know it'll all be good.

Enjoy !
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-24-2016 at 06:34 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Since this is after all a site devoted to old Porsches, it's probably appropriate to start out by featuring images of the surprisingly large number of Stuttgart's finest. A good mix, some of the old standbyes and some Porsches I'd not laid eyes on before.

It annoys the living Hell out of me, but as long and hard as I've tried, I cannot get the site to post all the images in the order I want them to be posted, with the extremely aggrivating result that photos of one car are frequently not posted in the sequence I intend them to be for continuity's sake. Case in point, the silver Number 4 Elva, which is shown in photos N0. 1, 3 & 4. Sorry about this......I've tried evrything I know, listened to advise and tried that and cannot get it to work

Photos # 5,6,7, 8 & 9 are not the same car - two different 908/2s. The first one with the small areo-wings on the front fender is owned by the Miles Collier Collection. Photo #8, the Number 20 car, is another similar machine.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 10-24-2016 at 06:32 PM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

......continuing with the delightfully varied selection of Porsches...........and this is just the beginning at the Pre-Historics.

More Porsches. Photos 1 - 5 are of a recently found and purchased '64 911, Serial number 127 - entirely original...........quite remarkable.

......and more.

Photos # 1,3 & 4 are of the same machine.

Great way to start the morning! These are awesome, John!!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Maybe not one of Porsches all-time great cars in the league of the 911, but pretty much any of the 924 / 924 Turbo, 944 / 944S or the Porsche-built 968 four-cylinder make a superb track-day project - cheap, plentiful, and a fine car with which to learn.

Photos # 2 and 9 are cars from the Reno, NV based Ranson Webster collection.........one of the best, most varied and most carefully chosen group of Porsches anywhere. The Rudge-wheel equipped dark Grey Roadster is powered by one of the largest displacement Polo 4-cyl. made, and the Stone Gray 4-cam Carrera Roadster is flawless.

Needess to say, the red car's Porsche badge in photo #4 caught my interest - turns out it is a '64 Platypus-Porsche, the very first one built by P.A.M. ( Scooter Patrick, Hans Adams and Don Mitchell ) in Hermosa Beach, CA. Fiberglass body, chrome-moly tubing space-frame and 2-liter 901 motor / transmission.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 11-27-2017 at 06:29 PM.

WOW John.... you're already outdoing yourself... for one who didn't make it this year, this is/will be OUTSTANDING!!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Wonderful John. Thank you for all the great pictures and descriptions.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Thank you so much, gentlemen.....makes it all worthwhile.

Continuing with a couple more from the Webster Collection ( photos # 1 & 2 ), and a clever solution to finding space for a sharp & clean 914 in Phil Bagley's Klub Sport pit ( photo # 3 ).