Thread: Paint shop blunders...

Paint shop blunders...

We all rely and love our little buddies who do the paint and bodywork on our 911's, but...there are times when I feel like I am going to drop to my knees and scream. The car is a 1970 911 T Targa, 98k original miles, one previous respray in the late 80's, still had original paint under the hoods, door jambs, bottoms of doors, etc. It was a really nice car but needed some light rust repair work in the door sill areas and I decided to have the entire car resprayed in original silver Metallic (8010-H). My first "moment" was that to my eye the silver metallic they sprayed looked too light in color compared to the original silver Metallic. No big deal, just a "T", only a driver - stuff happens.

I attached a picture of the driver side lower door hinge. As they say, a picture can tell a thousand words, but a few sentences is all you really need for this one.

1. Door hinge pin driven in with a metal object, peening over top of pin and taking off the plating.
    2. Car was painted with doors off and hinges on, don't know how they took so much paint off the chassis side hinge. Probably had to adjust after car was painted.
    3. Then there is the general loss of paint in the area that occured while they were gettin' her done.

If only if was on the passenger side so I didn't have to look at it everytime I got into the car. Nothing a little more time and paint won't fix.

All in good fun here. One time I asked a painter what I thought was a very honest question, "Why didn't you sand out the chips on the edge of the door?". He looked at me in good conscience and replied, "You never told me that you wanted it perfect". And he was right, at no time did I tell him that I wanted it perfect, so in fact, it really was my mistake.

As I end my ramblings, let me say how much I respect good painters. Everybody is a critic, nobody understands how long it really takes. But the next time you paint a car, just cover your bases and let them know that you want it perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Maaco or Earl Scheib ?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

you usually run into this result when you have a "collision shop" do the bodywork/paint. They usually have the "get it in/get it out" mentality. I went down this same road, and it took me going there every other day to make sure things were done to my satisfaction. In the end, I was satisfied with the work and I saved a decent amount of $$ by avoiding the specialized resto shop. I would be careful with those hinge mounting bolts, a couple of them look pretty chewed up inside.? Good luck with the project

I am looking locally to have my car painted and some metal work done. I am really dreading it.

The insurance company's really have a strangle hold on production body shops.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

"Little Buddies"?

I'm lucky, I have a sailing buddy in Philly whose shop restores Dusenbergs, Bentleys, Caddys and the occasional PORSCHE. It takes time but the work is sublime.

He is NOT a "Little Buddy". Are you?

Good paint is easy.

Great paint is hard.

Like most things in life, it's all about prep. I figure 80% of the end result comes down to proper prep and other 20% is paint and final finishing. If the car isn't prepped well no amount of paint and polish will make that turd shine.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Good paint is easy.

Great paint is hard.

Like most things in life, it's all about prep. I figure 80% of the end result comes down to proper prep and other 20% is paint and final finishing. If the car isn't prepped well no amount of paint and polish will make that turd shine.

Unless of course it's Sepia.
    "Fahr drauf, bremsen ist feige!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Good paint is easy.

Great paint is hard.

Prep, prep and more prep. Then prep some more. Blocking is a lost art in the zip, bam, thank you mam "production shops".
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111