Thread: 1973 911 S Question

1973 911 S Question

Can anyone please post photos of a set of proper 73 911 S Gauges?

Thanks
    Charles

Not the best photos, but these are correct. Let me know if you were looking for detail on any one specifically.

Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

The main difference from T and E would be the higher red line on tachometer.
    I have a T with the upgraded instrument package. It is interesting that the oil gauge in the above photos has a different parking brake symbol.
    Mine is dated 5/73, do you know the date stamp on the one you posted?
    Name:  Gauges 003.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  99.8 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

My car has a 10.72 build date. As I recall, the date stamps on the back of the gauges precede the build date by a few months. I have photos of them somewhere that I can dig it out when I get home later today if you're interested.

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

I believe there are subtle changes to the dash and gauges as the model year progressed. For example the dash shown above in KentF14's dash does not have a "Lights" label above the headlight switch, but the dash of ESully does. The parking brake indicator is another example. Early '73's had much more in common with '72's...this is true throughout the car...Some changes were made in January when some of the newer safety items like door bars and bumper reinforcements were added...but I believe the subtle gauge changes probably occurred when one bin box of the old parts went empty and the new bin box of parts showed up.

FWIW- "Lights" label above the headlight switch" actually had fallen off and was in the glove box for that photo
    It's glued back in place now.

-K
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

Quote Originally Posted by Dmill View Post
    I believe there are subtle changes to the dash and gauges as the model year progressed. For example the dash shown above in KentF14's dash does not have a "Lights" label above the headlight switch, but the dash of ESully does. The parking brake indicator is another example. Early '73's had much more in common with '72's...this is true throughout the car...Some changes were made in January when some of the newer safety items like door bars and bumper reinforcements were added...but I believe the subtle gauge changes probably occurred when one bin box of the old parts went empty and the new bin box of parts showed up.
    ... also depends where car in question was bought when new ( country equipment) as well as the date of production (allowing for supply chain lead time as mentioned).

For example:

No stickers near steering column stalk switches on 72/3 on British market (C16/EG) and probably number of other markets too...think such stickers were North American market thing. Likewise rubber and symbols on other switches not found on cars in some other markets.

Km denominated speedo is typically found on other LHD country-market cars... mph is a USA , U.K. and several other markets -- as denoted by each country equipment specification.

Regarding the dates for several running changes to dials as mentioned above:

The OEL / handbrake symbols in multigauge shown in the two pictures were tweaked towards the end of March 73 to make reading them more foolproof ...done around same time as the quartz clock introduced. Also some changes to a bracket on rev counter to improve illumination of main beam headlight telltale late in calendar 72.

Details can be useful feature to help if investigating the original surviving parts on a particular car.

HtH

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 08-29-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Here are my gauges from a French delivery 73S. No rubber bumpers on knobs and no stickers.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Closer up view
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Guys - Thanks for your photos / comments!