Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.2 MFI Backfire

2.2 MFI Backfire

Looking for some pearls of wisdom.
    My 2.2S has had a consistent popping both on and off throttle for a couple of seasons. The engine make plenty of power.
    So far:
    - the pump timing alignment has been checked
    -the linkages have all been calibrated
    -the fuel solenoid has been replaced
    -the aftermarket exhaust and headers have been checked for leaks

None of this had a significant effect and a took it to another shop which did the following:

-and most recently the 40 year old Permatune CDi was replaced with a MSD Ignitiion and coil.
    - all electrical connections were examined and cleaned.

After replacing the Ignition the car ran with almost out incident. And after refreshing the older fuel (which was a mix of ethanol 93/stabil and a few gallons of 110 race fuel) it
    ran fine.

I took it out yesterday (a week later) put in another 6 gallons of pump 93 fuel and it is popping as before.
    Which is baffling. Why would it run great after replacing the ignition, then a week later revert to the backfiring?

So what's left? residual old fuel contamination?, throttle bodies?, pump?

Any Ideas?
    Last edited by 50/50; 08-29-2016 at 06:23 AM.

Sounds like you answered your own question with the fuel...

The blended fuel was higher octane.

Richen the mixture and you'll probably be fine...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

What kind of popping? Same type on or off throttle? Rev range?

I would think if it were light pinging it would go away off the throttle, otherwise the pinging would be so bad the engine would expire before long.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

How old are the spark plugs? Mine looked great but when replaced engine really settled down.

NGK BR8 ES.

Check for your specific heat range.

Thanks for the suggestions Gents. Will try the spark plugs and maybe dump the fuel also.

Plugs might be the reason. I recently changed my '72 911E (w/ MFI), to Iridium NGK BPR7EIX. Try those.

Additionally, I'd re-examine the gasket between the heater boxes and aftermarket muffler. After doing that, my backfiring stopped.

Vic Rola

Valve adjustment. Too tight would definitely cause back firing.

Chris

73E

The answers on this thread are all over the place- but could all be right. You really have to follow the manual, and go through the entire system to find the problem. It can be one thing or a myriad or little things.

In my experience with my 70S, backfiring was caused by an over rich fuel mixture necessary to compensate for worn throttle bodies, and other mis-adjustments.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

My 2.2 S had some popping on overrun. Had a slight adjustment to one of the stack/ throttle body ; that fixed it. But mine is also in need of valve guides and rings. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Thanks for all the input. We have been working it.
    After a balky warm up ,it is down to a slight popping between 2800-3000 rpm,usually off throttle but sometimes on throttle.
    Most recently also added Stabil Marine formula.
    Any thoughts about the consistent issue at a narrow rpm range?