Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Boston a p-car town?

Is Boston a p-car town?

Need some advice. I live in San Diego but work is going to take me to Boston for the next 18-24 months. Probably a silly question but should I take my 72T with me? Is Boston an early p-car town?
    Tom Casey
    1959D • 1972T • 2018T

Bad- Winter snow, salt on the roads, notoriously bad drivers. Good- New England in Autumn, beautiful scenery, some fun country roads.

All of the above .. Plus terrible road surfaces...Potholes that can kill a car.

Having said this...I live in the Boston area and have owned Porsches for many years. The old ones need to be off the road after the first salt and can be back on in late spring after several rain storms(they clean the salt off the roads)....but the winter offers you a time to fix and service your car and the first ride of spring is glorious. Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire and Western Mass are great for country drives...cool fall air is kind to an old Porsche and the scenery is beautiful.

I drive a Cayenne all year round...the only way to go...out here

If you will have a garage in Boston, then absolutely yes. If not, no. Pretty easy 18-24 months is a long time, and the East Coast has some great drives!
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

What others said about winter... need garage and don't plan on driving for 4+ mo of the year. Some folks rent seasonal storage if they don't have a garage at their residence, pretty available. Winter tends to be projects season for most of us, whether routine maintenance or sending out wheels for refinishing or whatever. Also be prepared to dodge potholes.

But there's a good community of p car folks here, including older air cooled. My last PCA DE instructor was driving a '72T in his instructor run group . Variety of PCA activities if you want to partake (www.porschenet.com - our Northeast region), one of my particular favorites is the spring weekend tour (aka Ramble).

In addition to lots of owners and lots of cool places to drive in spring / autumn, there's a number of good shops in greater Boston who are very familiar with air cooled 911s.

I used to live in northern CA before settling in Boston area. In an ironic / weird way, the seasonality means I make more of a point getting out and enjoying my cars than when I lived in a year round mild climate. And yes I drive my '73.5T through traffic to my office in downtown Boston during the summer.

Lee
    =======
    Out driving new & old Porsches and non P-cars

Thanks for all of the comments. So other than bad weather, bad roads, and bad drivers, I should be good to go! I guess we're pretty spoiled in Southern California with year round driving but I’ll have to get used to shutting it down for 4+ months out of the year. Sounds like there are some great drives and a great p-car community out there. I'll be sure to check out the Northeast region PCA. Please share any other must do events or drives.

Now I just need to find a garage to rent…
    Tom Casey
    1959D • 1972T • 2018T

Dunno if you're going to be in the city or suburbs. There are a couple in Boston proper, and there's always the option of renting a place in a self-storage type location though these aren't necessarily heated. Most of the better options are in the suburbs surrounding Boston.

There's an old thread on f-chat with some recommendations:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/new...r-storage.html
    =======
    Out driving new & old Porsches and non P-cars

Climate control would be nice too. Humidity is aways lurking back East.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Boston is the home town of Tom Tate. Yup, it's a Porsche town.

Ciao

Jim

Watch out Boston! It's on the truck - too late to turn back now...
    Name:  72T-Boston.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  167.1 KB

Thanks again for all of the tips.

@Jim - probably another one of my stupid questions but I have to ask: Who is Tom Tate?
    Tom Casey
    1959D • 1972T • 2018T