Thread: MOA Oil Conditioner?

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

MOA Oil Conditioner?

When I took my number 2 Porsche (2006 Cayman S) in
    to be serviced, number one Porsche is a 1970 911T,
    the garage changed the oil but I just noticed on the
    repair order that it charged me for MOA oil additive.
    Anybody know what this is and whether it is worthwhile?

Don
    1970 triple-black 911T
    2006 Cayman S

BG? Dealers have selling contracts for products through BG distributors. I'm not sure it's going to hurt anything but it would be nice to have been given the option rather than them just "tacking it on" the ticket.

I've had good luck with BG products for CIS cars as well as the fuel treatment for diesel trucks. I can offer no feedback on oil additives.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

The BG Products website site is really vague. That said, do you really need a supplement? Is your repair shop using cheap oil that needs a supplement? Or are they just adding to their profit margin? Modern API SN/ILSAC GF-5 oils truly do not need supplements. I would tell your shop to ask before using supplements and validate they are using a name brand oil in the correct type and viscosity grade per your manual.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Purely a profit strategy.

Whatever Porsche recommends is "good enough".

Did the dealer enter into some sort of marketing agreement with the blessing of Porsche?

Bottom line: You didn't need it if they used "approved oil".
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Actually you're due a refund since you never authorized this additive. Every state I know of has a law about non-approved service.

Any number of shops add relatively small items on the bill to enhance the profit margin. Most people just pay for the stuff. At least that's what they hope. When they get caught they usually refund the money immediately. They know they can't defend it.

Richard Newton
    Garage Lighting 101

Ask the dealer this as they pay you:

Is the additive "Porsche Approved"? (Request to see it in writing from the company that produced it with the Porsche trademark lingo.)
    Things could unwind from there including a request for an extended engine warranty IN WRITING.
    If it gets to that know that after-market warranty companies are a dime a dozen so be sure it's not "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow Warranty Co.".

I'm sure all is well so take this with a grain of salt.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111