Thread: 1970 2.2T targa - hot start

1970 2.2T targa - hot start

Hi guys,

This happened to me for a 3 times, cold start perfectly, go for an 1 hour drive, went to put some gas, fill it up, and the car wouldn't start, it made the sound of cranking, but wouldn't start...so after googling for a few moments I decided to wait for 10 minutes, opened the engine lid, let it get colder, and tried it again...and it started perfectly...so any ideas about the kind of problem this could be?

Thanks guys!

Do you still have Zenith Carbs? Whatever Carb you have, are you using the technique of holding the throttle down ( WOT-Wide Open Throttle) as you crank while starting a hot engine? Is this car new to you, has it always had this problem? If the car used to start properly, try and figure out what has changed ( no matter how inconsequential it may seem) . If the engine is in a proper state of tune it should start well hot or cold.

Rodger@orbitracing.com

Thanks for the feedback Orbit!

Car is new to me, still on zenith, the pew previous owner told me it could be the gas tank, with debris...but it's strange that after a few minutes it starts perfectly....could this be something electrical? Any idea which part to check first?

Thanks

My car, a 2.2T with Zeniths as well, does the same thing occasionally. I just ease the gas pedal to the floor while cranking and it starts quickly after. Big catch is: do not pump the pedal. Just ease it to the floor. Otherwise your just going to flood it and delay starting it further.

I was told to do this by an older Porsche mech after I bought my car a few years ago and it works great.

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

Thanks Stretch32, when you say ease, you mean pressing it as we turn the key or press it all and than turn the key?

Thanks

member #1515
    This is normal with today's crappy fuel. Try cranking while holding the throttle down halfway, no pumping. If that doesn't work, try full throttle and release once it catches.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks RStarga!!