Thread: Fender from Prototype 911? Vin Stamp #13436 ?

Fender from Prototype 911? Vin Stamp #13436 ?

Greetings all,

I was going through the pictures on a 65 we are restoring and noticed on the drivers side fender it has a odd vin stamp... Doors are correct and have 159 stamped on them which is correct to the VIN, but the drivers side fender is stamped with 13436 which at the time wasn't as knowledgeable but in looking back now it strikes me that it sounds like a prototype vin number.

I double checked the 232 registry and the only prototype cars are vin #13327 and #13360... So the number is close, but not sure they made that many prototypes, but maybe they made extra fenders with those vins?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    JName:  IMG_6178.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  113.8 KB
    Last edited by P-CarLover; 09-22-2016 at 06:10 AM.

While a few of the 13xxx number chassis were prototypes, the majority were replacement bodies; originally for the 356. The later ones were for the 911 & 912. Now 13440 was a body built in 1966 during the 1967 production period. So I'm guessing 13436 was a little earlier in 1966. Have you checked ALL of the serial locations on the car? My thoughts are that there are two main possibilities, first that the car you have was rebodied with 13436 and second that the fender came from that body. It is possible to get the Kardex for 13436 and that might tell us the VIN of the car it was the replacement body for.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Thanks Dave,

Sent an email with some more details. So far that is the only odd VIN I have found but should probably dig deeper at this point. Passenger fender shows no markings, doors are proper, chassis stamp is proper. Need to check dash again but car is at the body shop, i'll report back. Anyone have a list of all the vin locations? Just 2 chassis vins right? maybe written on top but if it was it is long gone. Not sure how many original panels are there but i'll try and verify.

I do not know how to get a Kardex but have a COA and nothing special noted on it obviously regarding this.
    Thanks
    John