Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North Hollywood Speedometer pricing

North Hollywood Speedometer pricing

I contacted North Hollywood Speedometer (NHS) with the following request:

Hello: I would like to get a price from you for the refreshing of the 5 gauges in my '70 911T. This car has the S gauge option. All of the gauges are working including the clock. The only gauge with an issue is the oil pressure gauge that some times operates erratically. Attached is a picture of my gauges. Thank you

and received this reply:

We need to see your gauges to give you an exact estimate. You can be anywhere between $500 and $1900 on these.

I understand the need for NHS to see the gauges before providing an exact quote, but sending gauges to NHS from outside of the US is a costly exercise.

Meanwhile there is a considerable difference between $500 and $1900.

I am trying to get a handle on what it might cost to refresh my gauges. What has your experience been?

Only 2 of my gauges need refreshing, the two oil gauges (pressure and temp) that are discoloured. The risk is that if I only have them refreshed then the other 3 may look pale by comparison, so I thought it best to have all 5 done. While I am at it, I would consider having the clock converted to a quartz mechanism, even though my clock still works.

I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250

Makes sense, $100 to refresh each gauge if nothing is wrong, and $1900 to do everything to all 5.
    In my experience, many time owners think everything is fine with their car and when we open them up we find stuff on the verge of failure. So I like to give best and worse case scenarios just like NHS did for you.
    It is your call what you want done, and NHS let you know how things can go $ wise.
    Tucson AZ.

What Fritz said. You'll be amazed at how good the gauges look when they're done with them. Like jewelry. So it probably is a good idea to send all 5.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

They will contact you with a firm price for you to authorize proceeding once they have assessed your gauges.

please define "refresh"... new bezel & glass ? ...or more ?
    erratic oil pressure gauge; I would suspect the sender or your wiring before the gauge. gauges are pretty simple devices.
    clock: personally I wouldn't dream of converting it to quartz, but that's just me. I like the sound of a mechanical clock. for about $20 you can buy a pin oiler & points burnisher & in 30 minutes you can service the clock giving you many more years of service. I know there's a tech article somewhere (Pelican ?) if I can't find it I can walk you through the process.
    my .02
    HTH
    84102 purchased in '85 FINALLY started driving it (2/2015)
    '73 911T original paint sunroof coupe waiting in the wings
    3 gauge Holbert 912... now for something completely different
    1940 Mercury town sedan

Quote Originally Posted by typ901 View Post
    I know there's a tech article somewhere (Pelican ?)
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ock_repair.htm

Prices can be all over the place as each set can contain major & minor differences from the last set that NHS may have restored.

Nevertheless I had 5 1967 gauges restored @ NHS and spent $1100 (I did the quartz conversion). I had 5 1971 gauges restored and spent $990 (Again with quartz conversion). I felt the bezel work alone was worth what I paid as they look absolutely correct in both cases. Face it, the gauges are what you look at every time you drive. Damn the expense & make them as perfect as possible is my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth View Post
    Anyone who has followed the instructions in this tech article will have ugly looking bezels when they are done, just pay North Hollywood and they will be perfect.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I recently sent my swb set of gauges to NHS, great service, they listened to my exact requirements which was a sympathetic restoration, full mechanical service etc, $1200 well spent. Several emails/calls to agree exact requirements ahead of any work being undertaken. great service IMHO

Mark

Thanks for all the feedback, especially the actual pricing paid by others.

Very useful information.

BTW: I'd love to see some of your "after photos".
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250