Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black horn grilles made of metal?

Black horn grilles made of metal?

Have such grilles ever existed?
    On my car (05/73) they are what Porsche called high strength jet-black plastic horn grilles.
    I have a set of black metallic horn grilles. So did some early 73 had metallic black horn grilles or what I have is simply chrome grilles that have been painted in black back in the days?
    Early 911 S Registry member #3308
    911E 1973 - Brownie- 66k original miles - Second owner
    911E 1971 - gold metallic - sold and missed
    912 1966 - sold

mine were black plastic. Porsche was obsessed with weight reduction back then. I doubt they ever made metal ones.

73 911 E

Black is correct for '73. Somebody probably took earlier metal ones and painted them black. Maybe a previous owner had TTG mounted lights and butchered their original plastic ones, or the car had an accident and that is what they could find at the time.

Mine are black plastic (2/73).

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post
    mine were black plastic. Porsche was obsessed with weight reduction back then. I doubt they ever made metal ones.

73 911 E
    +1

Back in the day, many Early 911 owners did many cosmetic modifications (painting chrome and stainless steel trims items black) to make their cars look like newer models.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGS73E View Post
    +1

Back in the day, many Early 911 owners did many cosmetic modifications (painting chrome and stainless steel trims items black) to make their cars look like newer models.
    Happened to my 70. Repainted black, rubber baby bumpers installed, 72/73 side mirror installed, horn grills painted black, engine lid grill painted black, turn signal lens trims painted black and 7x15s installed at the corners. I have a picture of the car in '75 lookin all back of the bus, '73. OP grinning like a maniac. Crazy picture though cause the photographer flipped the negative before printing as the final image is reversed.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thank you all. Will try to remove the paint and see what is underneath.
    Early 911 S Registry member #3308
    911E 1973 - Brownie- 66k original miles - Second owner
    911E 1971 - gold metallic - sold and missed
    912 1966 - sold

Mine are black plastic.

Name:  911%u00252BLeft%u00252Bheadlight.png
Views: 284
Size:  298.2 KB

Richard Newton
    Garage Lighting

In 73 if you had factory TTG lights, the car was delivered with the chromed cut grills. Otherwise, black plastic. Later when you could still get the full TTG light kit from the dealer the kit supplied cut black plastic grills but, the cut out was different than the chromed units. So, I've read. Was a bit young to be buying cars in the 70s
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

When did the factory switch to black? '73, '72 or sometime during '72? If the latter, is there a particular VIN or date of manufacture that marks the change?

My July of '72 build, 1973 T has black plastic.
    Tom