Thread: Circle Porsche Audi license frame

Circle Porsche Audi license frame

Hi guys,
    Been roaming around this cool forum looking for information on my Circle Porsche Audi license frame. I know it's post-1968 when Audi came to the US and Porsche dealers were asked to take on Audi or drop the dealership. Anyone know when this frame would have been issued? No markings on back. Please note the Long Beach script which is different from the script seen on another Circle frame on this forum. Background color is chocolate, letters white. No gold wash.
    Thanks for any info,
    Geert
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Circle Porsche Audi

Quote Originally Posted by gpallem View Post
    . . . note the Long Beach script which is different from the script seen on another Circle frame on this forum . . .
    What's being referred to . . .

. . . see post #112 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Frames/page12

. . . see post #293
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Frames/page30

. . . see post #391 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Frames/page40

Nice one, Geert!

I would only guess that dealers' frames would become less-ornate/more-standardized over time --- = simpler/easier/cheaper to produce . . .

. . . so --- given the more-elaborate font in the top panel . . . I would guess that yours would be the earliest (if not the 1st) iteration of this very distinctive frame

Very cool --- and thanks for posting! . . .

Last edited by LongRanger; 09-30-2016 at 06:17 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Porsche + AUDI and Volkswagen of America

Quote Originally Posted by gpallem View Post
    . . . I know it's post-1968 when Audi came to the US and Porsche dealers were asked to take on Audi or drop the dealership. Anyone know when this frame would have been issued? . . .
    The separation of Volkswagen's and Porsche's sales & marketing seems to've been formalized sometime around October '69 --- see the section 'The Situation in America' . . .
    https://books.google.com/books?id=K8...n%20US&f=false

Interestingly --- according to this account, any prospective/continuing Porsche Dealer had to pay $250k to keep their concession

Anyway, I would think that any Porsche + AUDI -branded swag would've taken a few months to design/purchase/distribute, soooooooooo . . .

. . . my guess would be that the earliest any new-style dealer frame could've shown-up would've been very-late '69

We Can Be Heroes

I have that plate frame on my car currently. Not many around like that anymore. I would guess 70's-early 80's before plastic became all the rage.
    Philip
    69 Bahama T
    S Reg# 2753

Thank you LoneRanger! I like your reasoning regarding the trend from elaborate to more standardized. Since there is no manufacturer id on the back as in many of the other frames (Brown mostly), it very well could be a small run to get started with the new dealership. But, of course, I am prognosticating here as well

Hi Philip,
    Any chance you post a picture of the plate on your car? Would love to see it in its environment
    Geert