Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Undercoat on a 911S front hood ???

Undercoat on a 911S front hood ???

So most all 911 cars got a light coat of SKS undercoat under the front hood on the flat part inside the frame. I am about to paint a Signal Orange 911S and was about to undercoat the front hood as most all my cars in the past have usually had but then I looked at another 1 owner 70 911S I have and it has zero undercoat on the underside. The one owner car I have has been repainted in the past, I suppose it could be possible that the undercoat was removed but find it unlikely as there is zero trace of undercoat even under the frame of the hood. I know of a couple 911RS cars that had no undercoat under the hood.

This would kind of make sense in order to keep the weight lower. Not a big weight savings but they went to the effort to put aluminum decklids on the 70S cars and my 1 owner car has one of those.

Can anyone with a 1970 911S with the original front hood let me know whats on the underside of their hood? - an original paint car would be great to know about - maybe someone has a picture of the 700 mile silver 70S front hood underside?

I think Ts and Es got it so I am looking from feedback on S cars only.

member #1515
    Mark,
    Here is the link to Dave's pictures. Sure looks like a light coat of undercoating to me.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/807244...7630169538658/
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks for that link David, I love that 700 mile S, such a treasure. But I do not see a picture of the underside of the front hood, am I missing seeing a picture. I am only talking about the hood itself, not inside the trunk, around the spare tire seems to always have undercoat in this area.

Here is my 1 owner 70S, its vin number 100, earlier car than the 700 mile car as there are a number of differences. There is no undercoat on the bottom of this hood.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

No virgin, but trace of (what I believe is) the original grey paint all over the hood. Not the best data point, but for what it´s worth, this is what it looks like underneath. (Coupé #963)

Name:  Hood_undecoat.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  132.5 KB
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

member #1515
    Mark,
    If you look at the latch picture closely, or blow it up, you can see a very light sparkling. Not as heavy as the car above.
    David

member #1515
    This shot shows the difference between the unspackled frame and the underside of the hood.
    David

Not a 70S, but my 68S does not have it either. It isn't original paint, but I see no trace of undercoat anywhere, which I have always wondered about.

My car is a low VIN demonstrator and didn't come with any options.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Not a 70S, but my 68S does not have it either. It isn't original paint, but I see no trace of undercoat anywhere, which I have always wondered about.

My car is a low VIN demonstrator and didn't come with any options.

Scott
    Do you feel the car is noisier without the hood undercoating?

My 1/70 build S has undercoating on the hood which is original to the car.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Mark,
    If you look at the latch picture closely, or blow it up, you can see a very light sparkling. Not as heavy as the car above.
    Ok I see it David, missed that picture and you are right it is there. The 700 mile S is hard to argue with. Hmmm evidence is low at this point but could go either way. I doubt noise will be much less with out it or that any other differences will be noticed.