Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grampa's Hammer

Grampa's Hammer

All my life --- I've kept stuff . . . like someone who could be called a 'collector'

Even when I was really young . . . I felt a need to keep. My toys, my books, clothes, furnishings --- strange things, sometimes . . .

And not because they were valuable or even useful. I kept them . . . 'because'

'Keeping' 's never left me. Space --- and money . . . and sanity, may have all forestalled some of it . . .

. . . but I still 'keep' stuff --- like? . . .

. . . my Grampa's hammer

It's an odd little thing, pretty --- a Carpenter's finishing hammer? . . . holding it, seems too fragile to use. Handle has a ridiculous amount of contouring done to it --- I mean . . . it's a hammer fercryinoutloud

Used it to put up some stuff today

Don't remember how I got it

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

I am with you on this need to hold onto 'things'.
    I also have my Grandfather's hammer and it's a 2 pound ball-peen type that has been used so much the face looks like it has melted.
    You have to wonder what Grampa beat with that thing.....
    Good hammer thread!
    Jay
    1946 Willys Army Jeep
    1956 356A Cab
    1957 356A Speedster
    1959 Austin-Healey Sprite
    1962 356B Notchback
    1969 911T 'Speedster'
    1971 911S
    1974 Ford Ranchero
    1986 911 Carrera Cab
    1993 Audi V8Q
    2001 Mazda Miata 'Daughters Car'
    2008 Audi S6
    2018 Panamera 4S 'Wife's Car'

Awesome hammer. I too have my grandfathers claw hammer. FYI this is not a finish hammer. It is either a Rock hammer or a smithing hammer Not sure which but definitely not a finish hammer.

Cheers all

It a great thread with many odd things of generations gone in my possession. It is a tinning or tinners hammer, I have been a tinner for over 40 years and own numerous sizes of these along other old tinning tools.
    THANKS for starting it

Here's a small size one handed down to me:
    IMG_5179.jpg

Hm

My Grampa's trade was Painter & Decorator

He liked working with his hands --- did a lot of carpentry and wood-working, too . . . for fun

No idea where/when/how he got this . . .

. . . but I think of him --- every time I see it . . . hold . . . or swing it . . .

. . . which is every chance I get

We Can Be Heroes

Bike Helmet . . .

. . . sorta

I didn't learn to ride a bike 'till I was in my teens. When I was in grammar school, I used to get soooooooooooo embarrassed every year when they'd make all the kids take this bike-test, to get tags on their bikes . . . and I'd have to tell 'em --- I didn't know how to ride

But --- once I learned . . . I made up for it

Rode a bike to college

Rode a bike to work

Rode a bike to --- ride a bike . . . >200 mi/wk, at one point

This is a souvenir --- from my 3rd bike . . . the 1st one I actually paid for w/ My Very Own Hard-earned (Still have that one, too. Italian)

That was a 'nice' bike --- wasn't exactly the very 'best,' but it cost me plenty to buy (most money I'd ever spent in my life, 'till then --- before I got my 1st car) . . . so/anyway I figured I may-as-well get some bike 'stuff' to ride it with. So I got some bike shoes, a bike jersey, some wool-and-deerskin bike shorts (Itchy. As. Hell). . . and to top it all off? ---- this . . .

Super-light. Otta-be --- it's leather-wrapped cotton. Rode around with this thing for years, a big/bold display of my respect for safety . . .

. . . 'till this one time that I turned-up for a 'fun' time-trial out in Trabuco Canyon

'We'll letcha pass --- this time. Just don't ever come here wearing that thing, ever-again --- K? . . . ya nut-ball'

I was crushed

Hung it up on my bedroom wall . . .

. . . haven't worn it since

Last edited by LongRanger; 10-19-2016 at 04:54 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Belt

One of the 2nd things that I did --- after I got my 1st Porsche . . . was to try to get all the stuff that my car didn't have . . .

. . . like a tool kit

Even Back Then --- WAY before the 'net . . . Real Deal 356 Stuff was stuuuupid-expensive

Sooooooo --- I got a repro tool kit . . . ~$400? . . . from Bill Perrone. I was in a hurry and driving my car a lot, and didn't like running around w/o any tools for it. Plus? ---- since it was 'just a repro kit' . . . I didn't mind bumpin'/scratchin'/dingin'/usin' it every chance I got

The only other repro piece that I ever put on that car was a spare tire strap that I got from Brad Ripley when he was running NLA. And it wasn't something that I needed. My spare always fit pretty snug in the well

I just liked the look/feel of that strap, whenever I opened the hood to gas-up

When I sold that car, I sent everything with it --- both gas tanks (the OG one plus a GT-mit-sender), two sets o' wheels (including five 4 X 15 GT wheels) . . . even a Yuma AZ Porsche Dealer frame

Only bits that I kept? . . .

. . . were a kluged-together/weirdo wood steering wheel . . .

. . . and that spare tire strap

Held my spare tire Back Then . . .

. . . holds my pants up NOW

We Can Be Heroes

My Wood Wheel

From my 356 days . . .

. . . another souvenir

Craig Stevenson had a LOT of really cool 356 stuff --- things that he's collected over the years . . .

. . . special things . . .

. . . little treasures that he would take time to show/tell me about

One of them was what he called the Rarest Wheel There Was --- the deep-dish VDM. Showed me his once

Pretty unassuming little bit . . .

. . . grayish-brown wood, dull, satin finished spokes, thin-rimmed, only a top + a bottom piece, with a thin black stripe at the join? --- simple, not jig-sawed together . . . like the Everybody's Got (to have) One 'Carrera 2 Wheel' . . . and instead of tulip wood sculpture, or an engine-turned Derrington or Leston, or a glossy/gaudy Nardi . . . this wheel would just about be invisible --- unless you looked for it, knew what it was

I LUSTED after that wheel. Bugged Craig incessantly to sell it t' me. Told him how my Ratster was the puuuuuuuuuurfect place to show-case a treasure like that . . . = 'no one would ever suspect/know'

He liked the idea, I guess . . . but no matter how many times/hard I asked, he'd just smile, give a little giggle, shake his head . . . . . . . . nuh

So. I'm down in Coronado this one time --- some kinda Porsche swap-meet thing going on . . . over by the hotel. And there's this Old Timer . . . with a little TV-dinner table . . . with some interesting stuff on it. And I see this wheel

OK-OK --- the wood finish is wrong --- too bright/glossy

The spokes = ditto

And the hub is all wonky --- fasteners look a little bodged

But the splines are clean . . .

. . . and it's stamped 'VDM' . . .

. . . and --- drum-roll, please . . . he only wants $250

!

Could it be?

So --- I grab it + pay the Man, who smiles, says to me . . .

. . . neat little wheel, huh?

I never showed it to Craig, although he musta seen it on my car. I guess I knew it wasn't what I wanted it to be. And when I sold the car, Bob Campbell said as much . . . '

. . . keep the wheel
    '

I would have anyway. 'My' wheel

Last edited by LongRanger; 02-18-2017 at 05:45 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Western Airlines . . .

. . . 'junior pilot'

Got this from My Uncle Fred

He worked for Western Airlines, then Delta, for, like, 50 years and-then-some. Just retired last year

Anyway, I remember thinking it was kinda kitschy when I first got it . . . when I was maybe 10?

But I held on to it

We Can Be Heroes