Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5 ST: Welded Gussets on rear shock absorbers towers ?

Red face 2.5 ST: Welded Gussets on rear shock absorbers towers ?

This question is for all experts in 2.5 ST ( original or replica)

Could you please confirm if the gussets welded on rear shock towers were "homologated" by Porsche race department for 1972/73 factory cars.
    I've seen pics of Zasada East African Safari car with those .
    I remember that the KREMER cars had their rear towers gusseted ( see pics of car n°69 @ ESTORIL European Championship race in 1972)
    Do you believe that those gussets were only 'standard" on 2.8 RSR ( 1973)

Thanks for your help

Cheers
    JDJ

If anyone has any photographic evidence of rear shock tower reinforcement being used in FIA competition in 1973 (or earlier) then that will be a big deal for the FIA HTP process. Several 73 RSRs in Europe have had their HTPs refused because they had this strengthening. According to the FIA (or more specifically their well known German advisor) this strengthening did not appear before 74. Lots of cars were retrofitted with this to enable them to run coil springs. I don't think they left the factory like that but did teams mod the cars before the end of the 73 season?
    Early 911S Registry #888

Rear Shock Re-enforcement (Early?) . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RennTyp View Post
    . . . If anyone has any photographic evidence of rear shock tower reinforcement being used in FIA competition in 1973 (or earlier) then that will be a big deal for the FIA HTP process . . .
    Another thread ('70 'S')--- with pics . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivard View Post
    . . . we found out a reinforcement piece on the rear shock towers . . .
    Looks like a 'doubled'-then-welded-up shock turret stamping --- vs the later 'gusseting'

(Referenced thread also has some 'Sports Purpose' pages to peruse, so . . .)

HtH

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Name:  911 Rear Shock Tower Reinforcement.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  49.7 KB

I had them installed in my car the last time the engine was out. I'm still not sure why but it cost very little.

FIA HTP papers are a huge deal in Europe. Most people in the states aren't very familiar with the process.

FIA HTP Rules

Richard Newton

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Another thread ('70 'S')--- with pics . . .

Looks like a 'doubled'-then-welded-up shock turret stamping --- vs the later 'gusseting'

(Referenced thread also has some 'Sports Purpose' pages to peruse, so . . .)

HtH

Can't seem to find the referred to thread. Is the link working?
    Early 911S Registry #888

Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Thanks - I missed that thread. Looks like a very interesting car. Unfortunately it doesn't prove the mod was used in competition in 1973 which is key to settling the.HTP debate. Would like to find a picture of a recognisable race car in 1973 with the modified shock towers. That would set the cat amongst the pigeons.
    Early 911S Registry #888

I remember reading an article in which Norbert Singer was interviewed in which he described the motion in the body structure around the shock towers for the early 73 RSR prototypes with coil overs. He mentioned that they did the gusseting after seeing these results. I have looked for the article before when these gussets were discussed in the Ultimate ST thread, but was not able to find it....but I didn't imagine it, I actually read it! This doesn't mean that the ST rally cars never had gusseting, but the load on the shock towers would not have been nearly as great as it was when the 73 RSR went to coil overs. The early Paris-Dakar rally cars could have been modified with gusseting, and done by the factory.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    I remember reading an article in which Norbert Singer was interviewed in which he described the motion in the body structure around the shock towers for the early 73 RSR prototypes with coil overs. He mentioned that they did the gusseting after seeing these results. I have looked for the article before when these gussets were discussed in the Ultimate ST thread, but was not able to find it....but I didn't imagine it, I actually read it! This doesn't mean that the ST rally cars never had gusseting, but the load on the shock towers would not have been nearly as great as it was when the 73 RSR went to coil overs. The early Paris-Dakar rally cars could have been modified with gusseting, and done by the factory.
    I think you mean Safari rally?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Tantalising! Would be great if we could find the Singer interview....
    Early 911S Registry #888