Thread: Swb 1968 's' engine death by sludge

Swb 1968 's' engine death by sludge

Hi,

Engine tear down for my 1968s project shows death by sludge , blocked oil lines, ruined s cams, barrels , pistons, Rockers...

Interestingly one of the barrels is from a different model.

What are options for replacements/ refurbishments?

Where can I get 67s 68s cams? Are the unique to these models? Are the barrels the same for all swb 911s?

Thanks Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

You can buy new Mahle pistons and cylinders , not cheap however . Dougherty Racing Camshafts sells camshafts I believe . The S pistons are unique , higher compression among other things . The cylinders are upside down in the picture .
    Last edited by Richy; 10-12-2016 at 07:38 AM. Reason: add text

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I think you can also get 911S camshafts from Web Cam http://www.webcamshafts.com/. Depending upon how bad your cams are they might well be able to restore them. I think the MFI cars have a sprocket to drive the injection pump on the front end of the left cam but otherwise they may be the same (my only 911 has Solex cams).

There's nothing wrong with Mahle pistons and cylinders but if you want to think about alternatives you can also get pistons and cylinders from LN Engineering http://lnengineering.com/. That would be LN's "Nickies" cylinders with JE Pistons. The last I checked, 2 liter Mahle pistons & cylinders cost a lot more than 2.2 liter P&Cs.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    I think you can also get 911S camshafts from Web Cam http://www.webcamshafts.com/. Depending upon how bad your cams are they might well be able to restore them. I think the MFI cars have a sprocket to drive the injection pump on the front end of the left cam but otherwise they may be the same (my only 911 has Solex cams).

There's nothing wrong with Mahle pistons and cylinders but if you want to think about alternatives you can also get pistons and cylinders from LN Engineering http://lnengineering.com/. That would be LN's "Nickies" cylinders with JE Pistons. The last I checked, 2 liter Mahle pistons & cylinders cost a lot more than 2.2 liter P&Cs.
    Rockers ran dry, this is the worst worn,

Beyond saving?

Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

That is a heck of a groove, certainly through the hardened surface. Dougherty (http://www.drcamshafts.com/) or others could tell you if it is salvageable.
    What are the engine serial & build #'s?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richsmith901 View Post
    Rockers ran dry, this is the worst worn,

Beyond saving?

Rich
    I think they might weld more metal onto the cam then grind it back to the original profile. A major limiting factor on repairing worn cams is that new cams may not be as expensive as you might think.

Somewhere along the line WebCam restored my 911's camshafts but my 356 got a new cam. The oil pump drive slot is a problem on 356s and it can't be welded and cut for the price of a new cam.

Granted, 911 cams are much longer than 356 cams and there are two of them so they won't be 356 cheap.

Give the camshaft source of your choice a call.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    That is a heck of a groove, certainly through the hardened surface. Dougherty (http://www.drcamshafts.com/) or others could tell you if it is salvageable.
    What are the engine serial & build #'s?
    Hi Dave, pm' numbers previously, car was supplied in January 1968, cylinder head castings are all dated 8/67. Block is Alu.

Will PM you any other details as we go.

Regards Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393