Thread: Value question: Early aluminum case

Seasoned Veteran

Value question: Early aluminum case

Does anyone know what the current value of an aluminum engine case is at this time.

The one in question is from a 68 911L. Yes it is aluminum.

I have heard the vintage racers prefer them over the mag cases.

I am talking about the engine case or block only.

Can anyone tell me the value please?

Condition is everything the only trump to condition is the number on the case. Research the engine number on this site and others to see if anyone is looking for that specific case to make a match. That is your top money buyer. Then it is a matter of how generous you are and how badly they need it.
    other than that an original aluminum L case is 1500 to 2K empty. Probably a slow sell Post a pic of the number You may get offers

Seasoned Veteran
    Anyone else, Jim B?

Bump

Banned
    I don't normally participate in auctions but I will bid $2k based on Randy's appraisal.

What's the reserve set at?

Banned
    So here's the skinny:

68's are the red headed stepchild of alum case 911's. They have a dismal following and as a result the value of the engine case is lowest on the Totem Pole (Is that racist?). Assuming the matching chassis is not out there somewhere, inevitably these end up as candidates for hotrod or race motors. People buy them strictly as hardware; no other intrinsic value is assigned. The only other advantage is that they are already dowled for the late chain boxes which for racers like me saves a step in the machine work.

With that in mind I would say $4k is all the money if it's really nice.