Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake RS vs 930

Fake RS vs 930

Technical question. A friend of mine is turning a 71T into an RS tribute and wants to install 930 brakes/ suspension. Does that just bolt on or is a 930 trailing arm much different from a 71T?

Sway bar is probably bigger, but do the major components front and rear just bolt in?

Thank you,

Jules

~J~
    air cooled only

Tribute = Fake

A fake RS will be worth less than a stock 1971T.

On the other hand a 1971T is really not a rare car. I just question why people spend a bunch of money to reduce the value of their car. On the other hand it's not my money.

btw - most of the parts should be an easy swap.

Name:  911+Front.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  48.6 KB

Richard Newton
    Weight Balancing a 911

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    930 brake calipers need small mods in the front to work and the rears need a lot of work because bolt pattern needs to be 3" instead of 3 1/2" that you will find on the caliper. G.Led

What Gled said...

930 brakes are expensive, totally overkill on a 2K + - street car, boat anchors on all four corners weight wise, and really f'n cool.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    Tribute = Fake

A fake RS will be worth less than a stock 1971T.

On the other hand a 1971T is really not a rare car. I just question why people spend a bunch of money to reduce the value of their car. On the other hand it's not my money.

btw - most of the parts should be an easy swap.

Name:  911+Front.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  48.6 KB

Richard Newton
    Weight Balancing a 911
    WRONG!, WRONG!, WRONG! Turbo rear trailing arms will not fit on a 71 911, or any other 911, without major modifications and a bunch of money.
    I've spent tons of money on my " numbers matching" 71 911T over the last 43 years to make it what I want. There are hardly any parts left on my hooptie that are "numbers matching" any more.
    I don't give a rat's ass what anybody else thinks.
    It does have RS rear flares but I, certainly, wouldn't call it a "Fake RS"

Regards

Jim
    PS: My Sepia Brown 71 911T will suck the doors off a 930 and "numbers matching" real RSs.
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 10-19-2016 at 09:03 AM.

maybe modify with some easier to reverse components
    Last edited by brookedale091462; 10-19-2016 at 08:57 AM. Reason: wrong answer

If I recall correctly the turbo arms are longer- giving the car a wider track. That is what requires a lot of modifications.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

it is not my car nor my money guys! If it were my car I would leave it bone stock. Plenty fun as is.

So no-go on the 930 brakes.... how about Carrera 3.2 brakes/ suspension? Plug and play on those? Or just go vented 911S rotors in the front and run with that. He is building a 3.4L 300hp engine for it and using a modified 915 with limited slip (it will have occasional track time) and he needs stopping power. Would vented long hood 911S brakes be enough? Any experience?

~J~
    air cooled only

Quote Originally Posted by csbush View Post
    If I recall correctly the turbo arms are longer- giving the car a wider track. That is what requires a lot of modifications.
    Just the opposite, they are shorter and mount on the torsion tube further out than normal 911s(pre G50).

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dielen View Post
    it is not my car nor my money guys! If it were my car I would leave it bone stock. Plenty fun as is.

So no-go on the 930 brakes.... how about Carrera 3.2 brakes/ suspension? Plug and play on those? Or just go vented 911S rotors in the front and run with that. He is building a 3.4L 300hp engine for it and using a modified 915 with limited slip (it will have occasional track time) and he needs stopping power. Would vented long hood 911S brakes be enough? Any experience?
    Jules

A later 911SC or Carrera complete suspension and brakes will bolt right on a 71 chassis and is a must for a car with anything more than 200HP, IMHO. You can up the ante by replacing the calipers with Boxter or 944T calipers, but SC or Carrera steel calipers stop pretty well.

Ciao

Jim
    PS: By the way, I have actually done this, not just heard it on the interweb.