Thread: 70S Targa Restoration

70S Targa Restoration

Would like to communicate and see photos of an original or restored to original 70 targa.
    There will be details I would like to see as I make progress .
    It's the " devil in the details " aspects that are so important to me.
    Thanks for assistance.
    First photos would be for the rubber seals on the body side at top and sides of the windshield.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Dan Petchel at "Cars Inc" makes perfect reproductions.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi, I did a pretty detailed resto on an Aug 70 MY 71 2.2S targa, there may be a couple of things useful in here.

All the best,

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...p?f=28&t=37364
    2.2s Targa

You may want to think about restoration. Restoration is really all about destroying the original. In some cases a car will have to be restored. In other case a restoration may not be what you want to do.

Then we have component restoration. When something breaks you restore it.

Preservation: The essence of preservation is stabilization. Preservation is an effort to decrease the rate of deterioration. It involves maintaining the condition of the car.

Conservation: Conservation is an intervention to protect what’s there. Conservation is an attempt to manage, or at least reduce, the effects of decay that takes place on a daily basis. This is very similar to preservation except that conservation involves some type of active intervention.

Restoration: A restoration is an intervention that permanently changes the car. It’s an attempt to return the car to some previous state. In some cases this may be a state that never actually existed.

The goal today is to maintain the historical integrity of the car. That's why non-restored cars generally bring more money than a restored car. Just one more thing to think about.

Richard Newton
    Historical Racing Images

Thanks murph2309 excellent restorations and great attention to details and fit.
    That is a beautiful color.
    Richard ...believe me this car needs a restoration considering that previous owner thought it would be cool to be an SC type.
    Ed thanks for referral to Dan ....he just finished the targa top to concours level and is providing all the NOS and reproductions he has.
    Always interested in original details as well.
    Would like to see some de
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)