Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Concours College

Concours College

I decided that I needed to learn about judging so I recently attended the Miami PCA Concours College.

One thing I learned is that my car will never be ready for judging. You can read about my adventure here.

Name:  Concours 7W.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  89.3 KB

Richard Newton
    Last edited by Richardnew; 10-26-2016 at 05:10 AM.

omg...lol..........

Concours College?

That is the LAMEST thing I've ever heard of...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Richard, LOL, when I read things like this:

One of the judges at our Concours College stated that you cannot win at the national level unless you bring your car to the judging field in a hermitically sealed bag.
    . . . it makes me laugh out loud.

Concours is a competitive contest of originality and preparation. Originality all gets done at home. . . years searching for the right date-coded parts, replicating original finishes, doing (and re-doing) plating, this is long- term preparation.

The actual cleaning, assuming the car was perfectly clean to begin with, gets done at the event. I've often speculated that a good precursor to judging would be to have everybody run the autocross first. . . cleaning and restoring the car thereafter would be a pretty good test of Concours preparation skills.

But keeping the car in a bag, just to win?

I prefer to HAMMER it until the 165 skinnies howl!

Name:  DSC_0824.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  73.5 KB
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Concours College?

That is the LAMEST thing I've ever heard of...
    ++++++++++++++
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Banned
    First word that comes into my mind when I see "Concours College":

Jackbag.

Concours is a game. If you don't like it, don't play it. To each their own. Having a class to teach folks how to play the game is a good way to build a concours program- and a good way for a PCA region to attract a diverse membership.

Mock the concours enthusiast as you wish, but I bet that is what you are looking for when you buy a used Porsche
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

PCA Concours = clean car competition

Pebble Beach Concours = The best most correct cars on the planet

HUGE DIFFERENCE. I might as well buy a brand new Toyota Prius if I wanted to win a PCA event because the judges know nothing about the cars other than how to point out dust and dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post

Jackbag.
    Now Frank, you ought to know that the correct expression is "tool bag." The jack just sort of sits there ahead of the spare tire, getting in the way.

Nomenclature aside, teaching folks what to look for as judges, and how to appropriately score points, is legitimately the subject of an instruction session, whatever you call it.

Suppose you are a first-time judge with your head in the engine compartment of an immaculately restored 356, and you see an M6 screw holding the coil to the engine tin. Upon closer inspection, you notice that the screw is A) Yellow zinc plated; B) Has Taiwanese headmark |0| and C) Has property-class 8.8.

Do you:

1) Score a point for the wrong plating color, a point for the wrong headmark, and a point for the later ISO property-class, bumping the 356 out of Gmund and down into Weissach territory?

2) Score a tenth of a point for the wrong fastener; or

3) Ignore it entirely and try not to hit your head on the engine lid latch?

For those of you that say (2) is the correct answer, now suppose that you move to the next 356 down the line. This one presents with a correct silver cad plated screw, with a KAMAX headmark, but with a 10.9 ISO property-class. This fastener has two out of three things correct about it. . . do you score it the same as the one that had three out of three things wrong?

These are actually real-world questions that arise, as surely as the question of whether or not the leading car had overlap before turn-in at the 13/13 meeting. They are important to those who think they are important, and not to those who don't.

But they are all facets of what it means to be a Porsche enthusiast.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

The one thing I learned from this school is just how intensely competitive a concours event is. It's as tough as any driving event I've ever participated in. These are some really serious people.

If you've ever run the SCCA Solo 2 Nationals you know how intense competition can become. I would place the PCA Parade judging at about that same level.

Preparing my car for judging is not something I ever want to do but I have to respect anyone who is willing to compete at that level.

Richard Newton