Thread: Racing helmets of the 1960's and 1970's

Another older oneImage17 (2).jpg

this is an early 60ies, original,
    Römer
    racing helmet,
    approved and accepted by the FIM, NMS, ONS
    - FIM Fédération International de Motocyclisme
    - NMS Nationale Motorradsport Kommission
    - ONS Oberste Nationale Sportkommission - we remember Herbert Linge in the ONS outfit

It already has a jet helmet shape, leather interiour with straps and adjustable green interiour fabric. The national flag and the chequered flag sticker is on both sides and is slightly embossed.

I received this by the grand cousin of the original owner, who was actively driving back in the days.
    Dates and races have to be sorted and are still unknown yet

Helmet is now cleaned and hoovered…

enjoy & br
    from bavaria

haul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by haul; 04-03-2024 at 05:38 AM.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Pretty cool piece. Minimal protection back in those days.

Bell helmet Graham hill sold in London for £138,000 in November.
    IMG_5251.jpg

Often overlooked but history shows GRAHAM HILL was one of the most successful racing drivers in history. He was the only racing driver ever to win the “Triple Crown of Motorsport": Monaco GP winner & Formula 1 World Champion, winner of the Indianapolis 500, and winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

His helmet design is derived from the cap of his rowing club on the river Thames in London. Son Damian is also F1 champion who wore the same helmet design

^^^^ I bid on this with visions of owning it. Not even close to reality for me. My hero ever since I saw him race at Monaco in 1969 (I was 9 years old). Sigh.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Monaco winner 1963, 1964, 1965, 1968 and 1969 iirc , hence the ‘King of Monaco’ epithet. The triple is defined several ways either Monaco or F1 world champion ( which he won twice 62& 68 as well as runner-up three times) so he is only one driver in history won it — did so whichever definition adopted. Some other drivers have attempted it but the triple is hard and in reality to avoid definition nonsense it should be the “quadruple”!

I was in the saleroom when the helmet sold and had a chat with Damon after all was done. Lovely chap, he and I had worked together. Later, sometime in early part of millennium, I was driven by Damon in a an adapted two seater F1 car around Donington circuit, this is a photo from the session:
    IMG_5253.jpg
    IMG_5255.jpg
    World champion of 1996 Damon was still using the Hill family helmet colours based on this cap of the London Rowing Club as worn by his dad:
    IMG_5258.jpg
    The rowing club has had a boathouse in Putney south London since 1870. Very close to start of the famous Oxford vs Cambridge universities boat race that was held last weekend about a couple of miles from here.
    Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-03-2024 at 06:08 AM.