Thread: Are 1968 Rear Bumpers One Year Only

Are 1968 Rear Bumpers One Year Only

I'm going to look at a 68 912 and the guy said he doesn't know where the rear bumpers are. I have been looking at pics and the 68 is the only SWB to have the rear reflectors. Will any of the SWB bumper work? Thanks

Yes, I believe the bumper pieces (2 corners and center panel) are the same all SWB. The '68-only side reflectors mount in the rear qtr. panels.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

OOOOPs I was looking at 912's and must have been pulling up a bunch of 69's. I was talking about the reflectors by the bumper horns. Myy bad, thanks though.

first, i am basing my response on the presumption that, when you say "68 912," you mean MODEL year 68, not calendar year 68. (it might also help to note that cars which were manufactured in the calendar year 1968 might have been model year 1969.)

i have a MY68 that i am trying to be meticulous in restoring, so i have done a lot of research during the 7 year process of taking it apart and bringing it back up. i am always ready to learn more, so i don't offer this information as any sort of scholar.

respectfully, i have never seen a 68 -- restored or original -- with reflectors in the rear bumper deco. the research, as well as all of the personal testimony, is that the '68 had exactly the same SWB bumpers as the 65-67. the reflectors mounted on the rear bumpers were added for model year 69 when the car was switched to LWB.

i am mostly ignorant about LWB cars, but i believe it is correct to say that, to the extent that it helps to answer your question(s), the SWB bumpers and LWB bumpers are not interchangeable, so if you get the wrong bumper, either way, it will not fit. the SWB rear quarters are different from LWB quarters, and the bumpers attach differently.

as a fellow member, and trying to be a friend, i guess i would also suggest that the cost of correct bumpers is pretty steep. you can go for repops for ~$1,100 a pair (but i'm not sure i have ever seen a repop center panel). used bumpers are asking $200-$400 each, plus the price of the center panel, and these costs do not include the price of restoration, fit and finish. i only say this to try and help you in buying the car. the owner would really help himself and you by finding the bumpers.

again, take this for what it might be worth, and good luck in whatever you decide.

i hope this helps
    Last edited by mshaver51; 11-05-2016 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks Mshaver

mshaver51, do you have a thread here with your project?
    That would be of a great help as I am starting the restoration of a MY68 T. And this car deserves to be brought back to its original condition!

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    first, i am basing my response on the presumption that, when you say "68 912," you mean MODEL year 68, not calendar year 68. (it might also help to note that cars which were manufactured in the calendar year 1968 might have been model year 1969.)

i have a MY68 that i am trying to be meticulous in restoring, so i have done a lot of research during the 7 year process of taking it apart and bringing it back up. i am always ready to learn more, so i don't offer this information as any sort of scholar.

respectfully, i have never seen a 68 -- restored or original -- with reflectors in the rear bumper deco. the research, as well as all of the personal testimony, is that the '68 had exactly the same SWB bumpers as the 65-67. the reflectors mounted on the rear bumpers were added for model year 69 when the car was switched to LWB.

i am mostly ignorant about LWB cars, but i believe it is correct to say that, to the extent that it helps to answer your question(s), the SWB bumpers and LWB bumpers are not interchangeable, so if you get the wrong bumper, either way, it will not fit. the SWB rear quarters are different from LWB quarters, and the bumpers attach differently.

as a fellow member, and trying to be a friend, i guess i would also suggest that the cost of correct bumpers is pretty steep. you can go for repops for ~$1,100 a pair (but i'm not sure i have ever seen a repop center panel). used bumpers are asking $200-$400 each, plus the price of the center panel, and these costs do not include the price of restoration, fit and finish. i only say this to try and help you in buying the car. the owner would really help himself and you by finding the bumpers.

again, take this for what it might be worth, and good luck in whatever you decide.

i hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by spb350 View Post
    I'm going to look at a 68 912 and the guy said he doesn't know where the rear bumpers are. I have been looking at pics and the 68 is the only SWB to have the rear reflectors. Will any of the SWB bumper work? Thanks
    all swb would fit
    67+68 have different hole pattern for the trim compared to 64-66
    68 does not have reflectors.
    somewhen the bracket that bolts on the body was reinforced ...my guess is 66

Sorry for the delay ... My restoration is being covered in ESSES magazine. My car is #11880001, so it's the first SWT for '68.

I don't have a thread, per se, to cover it, but i have routinely turned to Registry for answers from experts.

Ok, thanks.
    Mine is 11820296