Thread: Gear Set Swapping Input / Pinion?

Gear Set Swapping Input / Pinion?

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this... so I have a gear wheel set 23:28 'O' with a 'I' [input] being loose and 'II' [pinion] being fixed. This matches up in PET with 901-302-910-10. This would be a 4th or 5th gear in a 5-speed transmission up to 1971. The interesting, and confusing, thing is that if you go down in PET a bit further under 4-speed Sportomatic transmissions this same exact part number is listed for 3rd gear BUT it says 'I' [input] is now fixed and 'II' [pinion] is now loose. How does this work exactly if each gear is already designated to be either input or pinion [based on I and II]?

I attached some images below of PET for reference.

Name:  5-speed.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  44.7 KB
    Name:  4-speed.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  39.2 KB

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the subject.

Restoration newbie.
    They are the same part, 905 drops the outboard first gear and all the other gears are moved down a spot.

905 3rd is in the same position within the transaxle as 901 4th.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ajwans View Post
    They are the same part, 905 drops the outboard first gear and all the other gears are moved down a spot.

905 3rd is in the same position within the transaxle as 901 4th.

andy

Ahhh that makes sense. Thanks Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by Innovation View Post
    ... so I have a gear wheel set 23:28 'O' with a 'I' [input] being loose and 'II' [pinion] being fixed. This matches up in PET with 901-302-910-10.
    You have a Sportomatic "O" 3rd gear, which is different than a 5-speed "O" 3rd gear. If the PET is indicating that the Sporto "O" input gear is fixed, that is incorrect.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA