Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with front Caliper 65 911

Help with front Caliper 65 911

Hey,
    Just removed my banjo bolt to replace rotors on reassembly I noticed that the banjo threads were stripped and on inspection the caliper threads are also nearly gone. Does any one helical or resurrect the threads on the caliper or do I have to bite the bullet for replacement? The other side also looks weak but still holds. Ah old parts
    Let me know?

Cheers
    Randy

You should be able to get a metric Helicoil kit to do the job. Measure the width and thread count and get one from a local machine parts supplier.

threads are 10mm by 1.0 pitch
    contact PMB / Eric Shea about repair or replacement.
    http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog.html
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    threads are 10mm by 1.0 pitch
    contact PMB / Eric Shea about repair or replacement.
    http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog.html
    I have it pretty good authority that Eric just received a bunch of 65 911 calipers. He will be able to supply a replacement or suggest a place to get one.

Regards

Jim

The threads of a helicoil are not classified as either leak or air tight so there is a path for the fluid to leak under pressure. Using a thread sealant could be tricky with heat and brake fluid and not something I would be keen on doing.

If the copper sealing washer is large enough and the helicoil is fully inserted then the seal will probably still work and everything will be OK. The STI tap for an M10 x 1.0 Heliccoil , I think, has a maximum pitch diameter of around 11.5mm so a sealing washer of 10 x 13 will probably work without to much concern.

The alternative would be to use an M12 Banjo Bolt and adapter.

Thanks for the Tips Guys. This site Rocks.

Just replace the thing with a good caliper. Putting a band aid on a caliper doesn't appeal to me.

Which one is the 65? and what are the other ones? Hint: They all interchange.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good point, Jim!!! And for sure, a band aid on a caliber doesn't make sense for personal safety and future insurance premium reasons!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Just replace the thing with a good caliper. Putting a band aid on a caliper doesn't appeal to me.

Which one is the 65? and what are the other ones? Hint: They all interchange.

Regards

Jim
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Which one is the 65? and what are the other ones?
    I'm guessing 1965 - 1967 - 1969 from left to right. Nice seeing the progression.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    I'm guessing 1965 - 1967 - 1969 from left to right. Nice seeing the progression.

Dave

You have the right order but the cronology needs a slight tweak.

Ciao

Jim