Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fakes?

Fakes?

We know have any number of terms for cars that have been modified to look like something other than what they are. Here are few. What's your reaction to some of these terms? Are some better than others? Thoughts?

Should we even bother,

Clone:

Resurrection Machine:

Continuation;

Replica:

Fake:

Tribute:

Forgery:

They did a study at Oxford and discovered that whether or not an artwork is authentic alters the brain's response. This was the case even when the person couldn't not tell the difference between the authentic painting and the fake.

Richard Newton

How about simply "modified"? That pretty much covers it all, doesn't it?
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Modified generally means a hot rod. I'm thinking more about deception. Accidental or intentional.

At what point is a clone/recreation/tribute become deceptive?

"There can be quite a lot of demand from people who can't afford a Van Gogh but are looking for the same aesthetic experience for a fraction of the price.”

Is it same with cars?

Richard

The more I think about it the term "Modified" is pretty descriptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post

At what point is a clone/recreation/tribute become deceptive?
    When you alter the vin.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Banned
    I was driving through the forum and took a wrong turn into this thread. But just because I have nothing better to do while choking down a burger here's my list of terms for fakes:

Crest augmentation
    Counterfake
    Ferry tale
    Fender reassignment
    Car self-identifies as xxxxxxxxx. (Fill in)
    Queer

Who really cares? If someone gets duped from buying a fake it probably serves them right.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 11-14-2016 at 02:48 PM.

That's a bit harsh Frank.
    Not everyone is a Porschefile.
    One can argue that you should do your homework.
    But not everyone knows what they are looking at and in truth quite often the guys that are the so called experts in the marque are not always right.
    But setting out to deliberately deceive is not good form IMO.
    How many additional 2.7RS's are out there over the original build numbers.
    My guess would be more than 50 and less than a 100
    early S registry # 2596

Banned
    (I added the caveat "probably" to my last statement; I will give room for that very isolated case where nothing could have prevented fraud. Incredibly rare though.)

Don't get me wrong. I would never wish a scam on anyone but natural consequence is always deserved. Every single time I've been scammed, I deserved it. Why? Because I let my guard down, got greedy, or was lazy. I could have prevented the scam by taking more precautions. But didn't.

It's been my experience that a person who doesn't hire the proper authority to vet a collector car before purchase is either too cheap or they think they're the smartest one in the room.

As for buying a "fake" RS?

I don't think so.

This has to be one of the most well documented models ever + plenty of resources online to evaluate. And once again, a buyer in this league can afford to hire an expert to forensically inspect the car before purchase.

Or if he gets screwed said buyer has the means to file a lawsuit.

Here's a novel concept: If there's any question just walk.

But that would take self control.

Let's remember: These cars are a frivilous luxury. Not a necessity.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 11-14-2016 at 05:20 PM.

I've often found that the original builder never intended to deceive anyone. They just wanted to create a perfect copy. They wanted the RSR, or 917, experience but didn't have enough money to buy a real one. After a while the car is sold in an honest transaction. Everyone is happy.

Two or three transactions later this copy becomes the real deal. Often with a documented history.

Even well documented cars are possible copies. Ferrari built 30 250 GTOs. Today there are 46 fully documented cars.

I guess my original question was why do we have so many different terms for "copy"? Do we really need terms like tribute and clone?

I get the feeling that there is no real difference between a copy, a tribute, a clone or a reproduction? Correct?

Can we just call something a copy and then explain that it's a bad copy - or an outstanding copy? Just disregard all the other terms that have crept into our vocabulary.

Richard Newton

And what do you think of a very rare model that was badly crashed one year after beeing built, and rebuild with another shell?
    Would-you try to inform the current owner who thinks that he owns a perfectly ligitimate car?