Thread: Early wood steering wheel--seeking construction info/techniques

Early wood steering wheel--seeking construction info/techniques

I'm trying to find out how the early 911 wood wheels were constructed, and what species of wood was used. I have access to a couple early wheels, a steel one, and an aluminum, and have gleaned some basic construction info from their owners, but I'm looking for more specifics. I've got a couple core (non-wood) wheels on their way to me to experiment with as a base. My goal is to make my own early wooden wheel, not so much to save money (although that's one consideration) but rather because I like making things myself and enjoy the challenge of trying something new. I should add that I have extensive woodworking experience and have the skills to pull this off. So, here's some observations that I'm looking for more details on...

I've noticed that some wheels show the flat metal rim extends all the way through to the inside of the rim, but others are only visible on the outside of the wheel.

Some wheels have a black stripe on the face of the wheel that appears painted on, but others look more like an inlaid piece of ebonite/bakelite or something along those lines.

The actual wood structure looks like thin laminates that run continuously around the perimeter of the wheel rather than "plywood" like layers that some wheels show. The latter have distinct layers of cross grain which makes for higher contrast between the layers. I like the former look better since it looks like solid wood.

Some wheels show rivets, some don't.

I'm hoping someone here can help clear up some of these details. I've perused Youtube quite a bit looking for a video on how these are made and haven't found much.

This wheel is sort of my benchmark for what I'm shooting for.

And here's a couple pics of what I can do in wood so you guys know I've got the chops. Thanks!

Name:  1965+Gulf+Blue_12.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  493.1 KBName:  Img0099.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  122.2 KBName:  Img0153.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  130.3 KB
    Early S Registry Member #3291

Still hunting for my dad's (Roger Abraham) '70T Coupe in Light Ivory
    Purchased new from Gruber Porsche Cedar Rapids, IA

Jameel,
    wow nice inlay work. Yah, it looks like you can really do wood.

The method for the build up of the wood steering wheel appears to be 2 mm (or so) layers stood on its side and each layer makes a circular pass once around the diameter.
    It joins on itself with a miter joint. Some times the joints are all in a general location and on some there is a space between random layers, looking like these were a hand lay up rather than a mechanical spacing. (I don't have a steering wheel in front of me so I'm going by memory). These layers build from the inside diameter to the outside diameter.

One of the middle layers is a very dark wood species - giving a very precise dark band.

After the build up the profile shape is formed including the finger indents on the reverse side.

I have no idea what wood was used for the base wood. But looks like a medium to darker hardwood.
    Fairly open straight grain.

I'm thinking a cherry wood is in the ballpark.
    Teak would give more of a green tint so maybe not a contender.
    Oak would be too loose of a grain, unless is was quarter sawn grain.
    Possibly a red oak?
    Birch and Maple maybe too light.

The dash on the 1964 > was a African Mahogany (rather than the wilder open grain of the Philippine variety).
    But putting the steering wheel wood and the dash wood together they are not a match for color or grain.

What wood does it look like to you?

(Yes that is the same wheel in direct sunlight (overexposed) and interior lighting (way under exposed)
    (That is the only known example of the 901 Aluminum wheel with rivets - as per Dr. B. Johnsons 911 restoration book. If anyone has another please show it).
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Bobs 67S; 11-22-2016 at 09:17 AM.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Mine is a probable Porsche factory prototype (by provenance), very light-colored mahogany (supposedly only seen on early wheels), except that it is not so early a wheel, having a typical steel frame, no rivets or black stripe on the face (it never had one).
    Name:  Wheel.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  72.9 KB
    Last edited by raspritz; 11-22-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Bob,

Great info! Thanks. I'd say that wheel is mahogany. It's definitely not a ring porous wood like ash or oak. The other wheels I've seen also look like mahogany, and it would stand to reason that the wheels were the same as the dash species. They also have chatoyance like mahogany. Oak would be more dull in luster.

I'm convinced that the wood was laid up and shaped apart from the wheel, then glued to the rim in a nearly-finished state, and refined. That's how I'd do it to have better control over the final profile.

One more piece of the puzzle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    Jameel,
    wow nice inlay work. Yah, it looks like you can really do wood.

The method for the build up of the wood steering wheel appears to be 2 mm (or so) layers stood on its side and each layer makes a circular pass once around the diameter.
    It joins on itself with a miter joint. Some times the joints are all in a general location and on some there is a space between random layers, looking like these were a hand lay up rather than a mechanical spacing. (I don't have a steering wheel in front of me so I'm going by memory). These layers build from the inside diameter to the outside diameter.

One of the middle layers is a very dark wood species - giving a very precise dark band.

After the build up the profile shape is formed including the finger indents on the reverse side.

I have no idea what wood was used for the base wood. But looks like a medium to darker hardwood.
    Fairly open straight grain.

I'm thinking a cherry wood is in the ballpark.
    Teak would give more of a green tint so maybe not a contender.
    Oak would be too loose of a grain, unless is was quarter sawn grain.
    Possibly a red oak?
    Birch and Maple maybe too light.

The dash on the 1964 > was a African Mahogany (rather than the wilder open grain of the Philippine variety).
    But putting the steering wheel wood and the dash wood together they are not a match for color or grain.

What wood does it look like to you?

(Yes that is the same wheel in direct sunlight (overexposed) and interior lighting (way under exposed)
    (That is the only known example of the 901 Aluminum wheel with rivets - as per Dr. B. Johnsons 911 restoration book. If anyone has another please show it).
    porforauto on eBay had a rivet wheel for sale a few yrs ago. ( I thought you bought It! ) I sent you the link!!!. I was not too sure of it and had other plans for my money then?
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

http://www.nardi-personal.com/index....20&lang=enthis : this may shed some light about manufacturing a wood wheel?
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    http://www.nardi-personal.com/index....20&lang=enthis : this may shed some light about manufacturing a wood wheel?
    That's interesting, but more like a tease than anything! That pic on the left is giving me some ideas.... thanks Cliff