Thread: Date stamps on 911 65 parts

Date stamps on 911 65 parts

Can anyone tell me maybe a little bit more about the use of date stamps on early 911 BY65 MY65/66 cars?
    Because when looking and seeing a lot of restored/unrestored cars they are some interesting mixed use of date stamps.

For example: A 911 produced in 10/65.
    Is it possible that this car has date 9/65 on their lemmerz wheels
    And 8/65 on their speedometer and other meters...

Another example: There was on Interclassics Brussel an unrestored 911 BY65 MY66 for sale of 350.000 euro.
    I talked to the owner and brought the car in picture with 350 detailed photo's.
    This car was produced 09/65 but had lemmerz with date 05/65 and speedo with 08/65.

Or does a car produced in 10/65 have to have all 10/65 date stamps on all the parts?
    Or is a mixed used, only dates before the date your car was produced, normal?

Thanks!

Michael

The date stamps on individual parts are THEIR production date, not the cars, so your last sentence is correct.
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Bantam thanks!

I was thinking that Porsche for example used parts 10/65 for car 10/65 and that at the beginning or end of each month their could me some transition.
    But thanks to give the a correct answer!

The dates are for the manfacturers waranty accounting, not for the production date.
    You could easily find parts 3+ months earlier.....especially if there was a hang up in finishing the car.
    The first 911RS 7X15s were made in a big batch in 6/72 and I have found 6/72 wheels on cars well into 73...
    This was way before the current 3 day? supply order system, needless to say.....
    H

Just so long as your dates are not after your production date you are good. Believability is in the eye of the builder and purchaser. The general consensus is that 3 -4 months prior is believable. My 4/65 MY has original lemmerz with 3/65 dates. The factory did not pay attention to these dates at assembly and there are documented examples of mixed date wheels and very old stock parts being used on new production. With that said, you will find the gauntlet of preferences with dates from the maniacal every part must be in range to the Who Cares no one looks at it buyer.
    Welcome to Porsches find your place in this range

Before Toyota taught them JIT manufacturing.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111