Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change to big ignition key washer-bezel MY65/MY66

Change to big ignition key washer-bezel MY65/MY66

Does anyone have some info about when the small ignition key bezel changed to the big washer/bezel?
    My car is from 11/65 and wondering which one is correct of the 3 options.
    Wondering when this changed with european cars?

Also you have the the different ones?

1. small one
    Name:  small bezel.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  110.5 KB
    2. big one with small plastic ring with inside metal
    Name:  large bezel.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  93.6 KB
    3. big one with almost everything plastic. (no picture)

Thanks

Banned
    Jimmy,

Your parts are incredibly well done.

Keep it up.

Jimmy,

Indeed like what Franks says: nice work!
    What do you think the correct one is for my car 11/65 euro?

Thanks

Frank,
    Thanks for the compliment. I do try.

Michael,
    I'm sorry but I don't have the correct answer for your specific car. As far as I know, they were both used on both locking- and non-locking ignition switches.

Is there any way to look for the 'witness marks' left by the old bezel on your dash? Period photographs of your car? Previous owner's/mechanic's recollection?

I would ask the people who are subject matter experts - Frank Beck (ESR=Frank Beck), Jim Breazeale (ESR=Jim Breazeale), Brad Ripley (ESR=356Hunter), Marco Marinello (info@elevenparts.com).

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    The thread Special early 1964 features on 1965 cars notes that chassis # 302098 (built July 1965, probably just after the late-summer shutdown) has the large ignition bezel.

A car built in November 1965 would probably have the large ignition bezel.

It seems there were two versions of the small bezel: cars with locking steering columns got the brass bezel and cars without locking steering columns got a black plastic bezel with the same shape. Maybe the same holds true for all-plastic versus plastic-metal versions the large bezel (or maybe not).
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

In my research on 1965 to 1966 transition, the small bezel seems to be only on the 1965 side, and the large on the 1966 side of things. At the time I was not fully aware of the plastic versus metal version differences. Are there physical differences in the different versions of each size that may relate in some way to the locking/non-locking feature. Can someone post photos of the complete lock assemblies to reveal the differences.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    In my research on 1965 to 1966 transition, the small bezel seems to be only on the 1965 side, and the large on the 1966 side of things. At the time I was not fully aware of the plastic versus metal version differences. Are there physical differences in the different versions of each size that may relate in some way to the locking/non-locking feature. Can someone post photos of the complete lock assemblies to reveal the differences.
    to the locking/non-locking feature. Can someone post photos of the complete lock assemblies to reveal the differences.[/QUOTE]

Dave

Yes, there are differences in the large bezels. It is due to the locking vs non locking switches and also differs in year models. I wish I had examples of each to photograph but I have sold all of my bezels.

The early brass bezels came in cars that had locking steering columns (see post #1). The non locking switch bezels in very early 911s and 912s (mostly US delivered cars) were made of plastic, but looked like the same shape on the outside, except the non locking bezels have a bigger opening for the key and the threads on the inside are smaller in diameter to match the threaded barrel of the ignition switch. Most of this stuff has been discussed in previous threads but I will try and condense it into one thead.
    To make things simpler, there are 2 groups of bezels,
    1, Bezels for switches with a steering column lock
    2, Bezels for switches that don't lock the steering column. These switches were used in US delivered cars up until 1970 YM cars. I'm sure there are some obscure exceptions, but I am applying the "general rule".
    Now that we have looked at my picture, the difference between locking and non locking switch barrels should be obvious.
    Now, let's break down the differences in locking bezels. The picture in Post # 1 shows both bezels for locking switches used until 1969. The hole in the middle for the key is much smaller than the one used in locking switches from 1969 on that used double sided keys.
    Actually, the large bezels are made of 2 pieces. They are made of plastic with a metal face pressed into the bezel. The metal disc can be removed and replaced with one from a 69 or later switch that has a larger hole for the key. Sorry, I don't have pictures of all the different bezels. If I was running a museum, instead of a Junk Yard, I would still have examples of each. In the mid 70s, all the switches came with a black center but are the same dimensions as earlier switches. Porsche also changed the bezels to a much cheaper all plastic bezel.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

the diameter of the ignition key without steering lock is smaller than with steering lock, hence the plastic bezel going with the w/o steering lock has a smaller inner diameter. The outer diameter and shape is much the same. First pic is plastic bezel.

Name:  sleutel.PNG
Views: 178
Size:  254.4 KBName:  brass bezel.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  40.3 KBName:  IMG_1690.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  70.3 KB
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

The hole where the key goes through is larger on the plastic bezel (non locking) than on the Brass bezel (Locking).
    It is very confusing trying to explain the differences.
    After reading all of my drivel, I'm confused!

Ciao

Jim