Thread: Door guts experts!!

Door guts experts!!

Hello,
    I'm working on my locking/latching mechanisms for my 69 coupe. Of course everything is mismatched in the doors, and I'm trying to get it back correct. I currently have a 69 dated latch mechanism and a 72 dated latch mechanism. I will source a correct pair of 69's. I noticed that the two release arms that attach to the inner door handle are quite different. One has a much longer shaft with a jog in it before the ball stud, I assume this is the 70-73 version. The other has a much shorter shaft and just a straight arm with ball stud, and I assume this is the early style through 69. Can anyone clarify this, and just what exactly I need for my 69. Obviously two correct latch mechanisms, and two correct releases, but which. Here's a photo of the two subjects. Thanks Steve Name:  lock.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  181.5 KB
    1969 911 E #824

Should look like theseName:  IMG_7793.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  115.7 KB

The Upper one in your picture should be a 68 9015310552x

Steve

The lower one is the correct one. The upper one is from a SWB.

Regards

Jim
    PS: I've got what ever you need.

Jim, out of curiosity I noticed that the left and right are an exact mirror image of one another, with one exception. There is a horizontal bracket with a slit in it that rides on a tab that extends from the base plate on the drivers side, but not on the passengers side. I've looked at tons of images, and it appears that this is the case on all the years. I've included a photo below, it is the part with the two small circular dimples in it. At first I thought that my passengers side was missing this bit, but it seems they all are. What functions differently with the drivers side door to the passengers? I hope this question and explanation is clear... Thanks Steve Name:  latch.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  57.9 KB
    1969 911 E #824

Excellent observation!

That piece is there to make sure that you can't close the driver's door while the lock is engaged. You must close the door and lock it with the key. The passenger's door can be closed in the locked position. The Germans don't want people getting locked out of their cars. It also prevents the door from opening from the inside while the lock button is depressed. Push your lock button down on the driver's door and you will not be able to inadvertently open the door.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

member #1515
    I can lock myself out of my 73, did something change on these?
    At least last time, my wife was in the car and she helped to direct me as to when the coat hanger finally engaged on the lock.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks Jim!! I thought I was losing my mind at first. Always more to learn...
    1969 911 E #824