Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1966/67 Front Trunk (Frunk) Paint Finish

1966/67 Front Trunk (Frunk) Paint Finish

Hi

Can the expert tell me what is the up to date way of painting and finishing an early Frunk?

Is it body coloured and the black Shultz finish ?

Thanks in advance

The TRUNK is all black undercoat, including black paint on (not undercoat) the hinges. There is no body color in the TRUNK
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed- any particular black undercoat paint that matches well? Brand/sheen?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Since I don't believe in over complication, right or wrong I just use rust-oleum black semi flat
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed

I have a number of photos from original paint 67MY cars (S and normal) from this forum which suggest there might have been at least a flash of body colour underneath the flat black undercoat and then a black textured top coat (with masked out areas such as the chassis number stamping) in the front trunk. I am not including 66MY cars in this description (which I am not as familiar with) but I would appreciate your comments on this observation.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Absolutely agree Mike. Toffy needed to know what the final appearance should be,,,,which is all black,,,,,but under that you will find areas of body color. I believe the order was bare steel, black primer (or some such coating) body color with some over spray in compartments since I'm sure they wouldn't bother masking, too time consuming, What I'm not sure of is how that brittle asphaltic type undercoat was applied,,,,,brush, no masking needed, or sprayed, masking required. I don't think tours were ever shown that operation? The LWB cars were done in a different order. There is a famous picture shown on a new car brochure of a SWB car on a rotisserie with workers seemingly applying possibly undercoat with mops and large brushes!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Don't use undercoating use this as the factory did ..it takes a special gun ..
    If you try to cut corners and use the spray can version it just doesn't cut it.
    Name:  Screenshot_20161129-183500.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  46.8 KBName:  Screenshot_20161129-183513.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  42.0 KB

Thanks everybody, great information and much appreciated

How far up does the stone guard go?

Does it only go in the wheel well and not between the vin plate and back of the dash?

Quote Originally Posted by Toffynose View Post
    Thanks everybody, great information and much appreciated

How far up does the stone guard go?

Does it only go in the wheel well and not between the vin plate and back of the dash?
    I only know my long wheelbase 69 I'm not sure about a short wheel base. The stone guard actually goes a long way you probably could do all wheel wells and under your hood with about 3 cans if I had to guess..

Toffy, I have a once-used Wurth gun. You are more than welcome to borrow it and return it when you're done.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"