Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bilstein Green dot jacks

It would be foolish to say I knew but tend to think peg more 74 on. For example I looked at 20k unmolested car that lived life in a place where few other 911 so circumstances that maybe minimise brownian motion of unattached accessories like Jack and toolkits — April 73 it had folded peg ( not cast) with teardrop. I took note as it was relevant to something I was helping friends with for their April 911.
    I was not surprised what was there — rather confirmed my general impression of what I expected to see when opening its bonnet - from looking at vague patterns of what accessories used roughly when.

My theory that follows is about as useful as the famous theory of A. Elk (Miss) …like Anne impressions based on what I think I’ve observed with a bit more weight where cars seemed less messed with: lollipop pressed peg more prevalent earlier 73, then tend to see more teardrop pressed peg later 73 springtime — the cast seem to appear regularly even later so suspect more so 74 MY item.

Who knows I certainly wouldn’t be dogmatic just an impression as there are too many real world factors on once fairly inconsequential loose accessory supplied.

Vw marking or not the one with up/ down letters it is undoubtably the version illustrated in the 73 911 owners manuals. I do know pictures in those drivers / owners books not always representative of final production and images sometimes got reused etc. However the screw jacks were quite new so unlikely to be carryover old pictures of prior years. Who knows if some ( Bilstein?) yellow up/down got used on 73 911 among commonly seen green dot — very hard to say definitively. After all as context back in 1973 Porsche 911 were sold thorough the 50: 50 sales and marketing JV with VW across many parts of world; they were looking for operational synergies etc. Can anyone say the yellow up/down ones that are evidently shown on the books found in glovebox of the car didn’t ever get that type in some 73 911 new. Not common granted.

Not sure how much to read into a VW stamp on some accessory things— did any of the prior style of jacks used have VW marks from time to time ? More generally VW and Porsche were quite intertwined at the time. Some paperwork for my 911 and much literature of day outside NA markets is often VW-Porsche branded due to the VG arrangement. For example the Carrera RS brochure of late calendar 1972 was VW-Porsche branded. Also the dealer who sold my RS new were officially VW-Porsche with the branding prominently displayed in personal photos of the showroom in 73 that the salesman who sold it sent to me kindly sent. Plus sold Ferrari-Fiat, RR Aston Martin as official agents. Important to realise VW-Porsche wasn’t just a 914 product for many markets around that time it was operationally the scale marketing & sales plus after sales/ service network for large parts of the world. That was case in Europe (for the most part) including the U.K. which interestingly given Brexit was just in process of first joining the “Common Market” from 1 jan 73
    Market
    Last edited by 911MRP; 08-02-2021 at 02:49 AM.

for completeness sake, I'm adding a 6th type: no teardrop shaped pressing in the straight handle, folded steel tongue, Bilstein mark on top

I'd guess this one would be earlier than the small teardrop / straight handle / folded steel tongue / Bilstein mark on top..?

Name:  IMG_60901613058607.JPG
Views: 292
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  IMG_60891613058607.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  IMG_60921613058607.JPG
Views: 289
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  IMG_60941613058607.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  79.0 KB

"The more you know, the more you don't know"...
    Last edited by swisscheese; 08-03-2021 at 12:42 PM.
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

I have one just like the above and it came with my 1/72 911
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Yes, but did you buy the car new with THAT Jack ?

I purchased the car in 1979 and it had that jack in it.
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

I’m also looking for one for mi 911S 1972. Where is the best place/forum to find it? Any suggestion?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cachi1915 View Post
    I’m also looking for one for mi 911S 1972. Where is the best place/forum to find it? Any suggestion?
    Thanks
    You can post a request in the “Wanted: 911 Parts” forum here…
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Another type that is similar to Type 4. Note it does not have the have the indentations or Bilstein on the top. Long teardrop, cast arm with Bilstein on the arm. 74-75 maybe?

Name:  IMG_1919.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  159.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1920.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  55.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1921.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  158.0 KB

Kind regards
    Gitesh

Images appearing in Porsche owner manuals are notoriously bad references as Porsche took very little effort to update photographs to reflect model year changes.

Here is Biancaneve's, who is a late '73 MY S (reposting)

Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter