Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: hood Crest pins

WTB: hood Crest pins

So I came across an og orange bar hood badge missing or should I say cut pins ..I am looking for 2 or more pins on the back of the hood Crest so I can reattach them.
    Thanks Ron20161201_103951.jpg

I only know of finding a broken one and harvesting the pins off of it. Carful soldering these back on.

Hi Ron

I've got remanufactured pins made by an engineer really close to the original spec and exact same size but I'm in the UK. Not sure how cost effective or how quick they would be to get to you. They weren't cheap to get turned up so if you don't find any local or from another badge (post 73) I will help.
    Resoldering is tricky but it's the only way to get a lasting secure job. I've tried every epoxy known to man and they all work for a while but eventually give way. I re-solder all mine now.

By the way, in your picture the shaft of the pin has broken off (or been cut off to fix the badge to a flat surface) leaving the base of the pins still soldered to the badge. An very tricky repair.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    Hi Ron

I've got remanufactured pins made by an engineer really close to the original spec and exact same size but I'm in the UK. Not sure how cost effective or how quick they would be to get to you. They weren't cheap to get turned up so if you don't find any local or from another badge (post 73) I will help.
    Resoldering is tricky but it's the only way to get a lasting secure job. I've tried every epoxy known to man and they all work for a while but eventually give way. I re-solder all mine now.

By the way, in your picture the shaft of the pin has broken off leaving the base of the pins still soldered to the badge. An very tricky repair.

Regards
    Mike
    Hi Mike I would be interested .. I don't care how long it would take I was thinking about making my own and I thought about what was close and my spitznagel gun uses the same type of stud that would be pretty easy to modify .I can carefully dissect those pins off and make it look like they were never there and then take it to a jeweler and have him solder it on that's my plan

20161201_120442.jpg

You could have a go Ron. Making the pin might be your easiest task (the diameter of the pin is the important measurement). The trick is soldering to a secure finish without the heat destroying the enamel on the other side.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    You could have a go Ron. Making the pin might be your easiest task (the diameter of the pin is the important measurement). The trick is soldering to a secure finish without the heat destroying the enamel on the other side.

Regards
    Mike
    Hi Mike p.m. sent yes I could make it and the diameter is identical but yours are plated hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    I only know of finding a broken one and harvesting the pins off of it. Carful soldering these back on.
    That might be a sin ...lol.haha��

Pretty sure some of the older 356 hubcap centers have the same mounting pins, might be able to find a cheap one or someone who will give you one.

356Cap1.jpg356Cap2.jpg
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Pretty sure some of the older 356 hubcap centers have the same mounting pins, might be able to find a cheap one or someone who will give you one.

356Cap1.jpg356Cap2.jpg
    Smart idea Mike

Bone stock roofing nails are a dead ringer. Just trim to length.........
    1969 911 E #824