Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric oil pump to "prime" motor for startup?

Electric oil pump to "prime" motor for startup?

I wonder if people have experimented with an electric oil pump somewhere in the circuit to "prime" a 911 motor for startup? I park my car for long periods of time and hate the moment upon startup before the oil pressure comes up. I sort of cringe thinking there's a lot of wear happening just then.

The electric oil pump could come on with ignition (along with fuel pump, etc), moving some oil around the motor before starting. It could be automatically switched off once engine is running. Maybe the mechanical oil pump would block the flow though while engine is not turning. I don't know much about how this system works, so it could just be a completely idiotic idea.

Just a thought! Happy holidays.
    --
    1973 911s / 1994 964 Turbo / 1997 993c2

Isn't that what an Accusump does, without an electric pump. Only $528.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...FQ13fgodn6sIxg

This is from a few years ago. . . everything you ever wanted to know about a 911 oil system. . . ultimately you might conclude that our high tolerance aircooled engines, with mechanical fuel injection spraying a 10:1 mixture all over the cylinder walls, will be rebuilt long before bearing wear from startup.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-e...ve-thread.html
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

member #1515
    Everything else wears out before the bearings. When I've not used the car in a while, I give it a few cranks with the starter to prime the pump before I let it finally start. Be careful not to flood it though, just a couple of short cranks, then pull up the hand throttle and start her up. The oil pressure should come right up.
    I use 15w-50 Mobil 1 synthetic and the 2 times my engine has been apart in 150k miles the bearings are still standard.
    Dont lug it though, that will kill your bearings.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I've got some reading to do there, thanks for links.

I was thinking about everything that moves/slides in the motor - cams, valves, rockers, rods, tensioners...bearings...
    --

If you have ever opened one of these engines up even after sitting for a while, there is a layer of oil everywhere. Perhaps the large puddles drain back into the crankcase, but everything is still coated with a layer of oil.
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I suppose the stuff is rather sticky. If it were really an issue, seems like someone would have developed a "priming' system that would have become commonplace in engines by now. Since it hasn't...
    --

IMHO if one starts up the car w/out screaming revs, and drives the first several miles gently until everything is warmed up, the bottom end lives pretty long.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

There have been electric oil pumps to prime engines on startup. I forget the exact applications- maybe big Diesel marine. As mentioned, the raw gas from pumping carburetors or cold start injector on start up does most of the damage to engines- and it is the cylinders and rings that suffer most. If an engine just ran and never started or stopped and oil was clean it might last twice as long or more. Old cars with chokes really rinsed the oil from cylinder walls on start-up and that's why they didn't last like today's injected engines. I found best practice when the car has sat months, is to start it, run it at 2000 for 15 seconds and drive, babying it until it is warmed up.

Then you know what to do!

When I was growing up in So Cal in the late 60's, the brother of a girl I knew bought a Cobra from Carol Shelby that had been raced. It did indeed have an electric pump to pressurize the oiling system pre startup. You could turn on the pump and watch the oil pressure gauge register pressure.
    Bob B