Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need radio help!! 68 frankfort 'x'

Need radio help!! 68 frankfort 'x'

i test-fitted my radio, which i believe to be a Frankfort X, ans you can see from the photo that the opening is too large for the face of the radio.

Is there a cover plate that goes over the radio?

Or do I have the wrong radio, somehow?

Thanks for your constructive input.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have almost the same radio Mike in my US '68. Based on Charlie White's detailed information I was seeking the Z series (or possibly Y series) http://derwhites356literature.com/Ne...ktRadioID.html My Series fits perfectly/

I suspect the X series is 66/7? It maybe that your aperture for the radio has been widened sometime in the past also.
    Last edited by Merv; 12-10-2016 at 01:19 PM.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Hi

Blaupunkt radio fittings and therefore presumably aperture sizes changed in the mid 70s. I have original Blaupunkt source info in my files somwhere that explains this change but rather than dig it out I am sending this handy picture (acknowledgement to the Belgian antique autoradio website source.)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  76.1 KB

Not sure of dimensions of cutout you have in dash without measurements, but maybe this picture above with size comparison markings overlayed helps explain the problem you are having with fit?

Looks like your dash aperture is sized for the later radio models but your radio is earlier model size

Is your dash from later car or maybe has been modified by a PO to take a later bigger (upgrade or replacement) stereo sometime back in the past?

From photo you certainly appear to have earlier style blaupunkt radio in which case the problem is your dash aperture being too big for 68 car. (I'm assuming it is a 68 car?)

For example, the 73 model year, there are various plates with interior trim ( and have seen varying quality modern replacement repos of these for sale) but don't know if these things also exist for cars with this silver style dash finish or for other model years.

(By the way another observation: based in the pushbutton layout in your photo it looks to be a European version radio but the dash knobs with "fussier-style" graphics / rubbers to be the North American style, not the "plain-style" dash knobs typically used in Europe).

Views: 446
Size:  78.1 KB
    Above is the version for the North American market as shown in my copy of original 1968 blaupunkt brochure ( brochure print dated that year):
    It is generic image so not showing the Porsche specific installation fitting kit

Below is the blaupunkt series Y version Europe ROW with the LMKU, usually deemed reasonably date correct for late 67 or early 68 ( although if later in 68 could be Z)
Views: 424
Size:  89.6 KB
Views: 370
Size:  105.0 KB
    Images as shown in a different original blaupunkt period source, the brown cover detailed service ring binder produced for technicians detailing how to service all radio models of that year.

HtH

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-11-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    The Blaupunkt codes as published over at the 356 Registry are:

K 1956-1957
    S 1957-1958
    G 1958-1959
    Q 1959-1960
    D 1960-1961
    E 1961-1962
    T 1962-1963
    U 1963-1964
    V 1964-1965
    W 1965-1966
    X 1966-1967
    Y 1967-1968
    Z 1968-1969
    A 1969-1970
    etc.

The "correct" radio for a '68 is probably the Y or Z code.

The parts catalog says there's one aluminum "cover" for that part of the dashboard [902.552.453.22] for all LHD cars from chassis 305101 (beginning of '67 model year) on through '69. There's a good chance a previous owner enlarged the hole in your dash for a later radio.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 12-11-2016 at 04:54 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Mike

You dash has been butchered by a PO. You can find a period correct Blaupunkt face plate that would cover that mess but I would search for a replacement dash facia that mates with your correct bezel. By the way, you have a European version of a Frankfurt. The correct US version that would be a Frankfurt US.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Hi

(By the way another observation: based in the pushbutton layout in your photo it looks to be a European version radio but the dash knobs with "fussier-style" graphics / rubbers to be the North American style, not the "plain-style" dash knobs typically used in Europe).

HtH

Steve
    The definite proof it's a European radio is that the FM band only goes up to 104 MHz.

Here are photos from a slightly earlier brochure (1967) showing a US-spec Blaupunkt New Yorker radio in a [European] 911 dash:

Name:  ps__Blaupunkt_67_06-07.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  98.8 KB

Name:  ps_Blaupunkt_67_06-07.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  119.0 KB
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

Is there a difference in size between the US radio and tge euro?

It really does not look like anyone altered the dash.

I will check the series code again, but if you look closely at the photo, you'll see that it is a very early MY68 (8/67 mfg).

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    No, same dimensions.

I agree with previous comments -- your radio hole isn't original.

Mike

Your dash has been hacked up, big time. All the radios have exactly the same dimensions for the dash opening. Your car got butchered for some semi modern stereo

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post

It really does not look like anyone altered the dash.

I will check the series code again, but if you look closely at the photo, you'll see that it is a very early MY68 (8/67 mfg).
    As far as I know, the size of the nosepiece is the same for US and European versions of the radio. There's only one dash trim piece--it's the same for Euopean and American cars.

There are other differences in the radios. In the September 1965 options pricelist, the Euopean Blaupunkt Frankfurt has four bands "FRANKFURT, AM/FM, short- and long wave" while the US Blaupunkt Frankfurt has three "FRANKFURT-US, AM/FM and short wave (US-Band 87-108 MHz)"

The signal-seeking radios had different names. The European signal seeking Blaupunkt was "KÖLN, AM/FM/long wave/automatic" and the US signal seeking Blaupunkt was "NEW YORKER, AM/FM and Marine wave band (US-Band 87-108 MHz)"
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe