Thread: 62 litre fuel tank shape difference

62 litre fuel tank shape difference

Could anyone clarify the application for the two different shape 62 litre fuel tanks, some have a slope to the front of the raised round part whilst some have a full round.....were they different years/models/suppliers? Any info appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Tim

member #1515
    Well, here is a 73 tank. Since from 74 on they used space savers, it must be from an earlier car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks for your reply David.

The tank in my first photo with the cut away raised section is from a '68 911; looking in the period Parts Catalogues the diagram in the 911 catalogue shows the cut away whilst in the 912 it appears to be a complete round like the tank in my second photo......I am just not sure this is a simple 911 v 912 difference.

Would welcome any further information if anyone can help?

Thanks.
    Tim

Hi Tim.

The original tank removed from my 67 is a complete round like in your second picture. I posted some pictures of my original tank in my restoration thread, will see if I have any others, will be picking up my original tank shortly so will be happy to take any more shots if you need them

Mark

From what I know the sloped tank with SWB(smaller diameter) breather pipe appeared on -68 cars and is thus one year only.
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    As additional evidence that the "slope" was one year only, the tank in my '65 has no "slope."

Name:  IMG_4831_PS.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  97.9 KB

It still has the mysterious "sombrero" (nobody's even sure what it's made from) so it's the original tank.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

and a sweet Sombrero it is! I wish mine were that nice

Thanks all for the input.......hadn't thought about it being another '68 only part......so from the posts above we think full round with SMALL breather pipe is up to '67MY, sloping front tank with SMALL breather pipe is '68 only; later years also had sloping front but with the larger diameter breather pipe?

Any other observations to support, or question, the above would be welcome. By their nature fuel tanks are a relatively easy swap so need to be careful that evidence is based on original tanks.

Thanks again
    Tim