Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 65 Hubcaps

911 65 Hubcaps

About the hubcaps like on the attached picture:

1. Is there a date stamp on it?
    2. Is there a brand stamp on it? Which brand makes these?
    3. Any other signs?

They were putted on Lemmerz steelies 11/65.
    Just wondering how you can see if they are original and correct for that periode.

Thanks

Name:  IMG_92981332793102.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  93.4 KB

The ones on 304523 had a small ink date stamp on the inside.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Those definitely look correct--I don't know of a way to identify an original hubcap as opposed to a reproduction.

Those hubcaps are difficult or impossible to restore so I wouldn't worry about using reproductions. You can restore those "tarnished chrome" emblems (which is far less expensive than buying the recently available "tarnished chrome" emblems).

That style hubcap started with the 356C. The first 356Cs had no emblem on the hubcap, then later 356Cs got cloisonne emblems--I'm not sure whether or not some 356Cs got "tarnished chrome" emblems. Until recently, there were no reproduction hubcaps without emblems.

911s and 912s normally came with "tarnished chrome" emblems but cloisonne emblems [farbigem Wappen] were optional: 16 DM or US$4.00 for four. It seems that very few 911s or 912s came with cloisonne emblems.

I recall reading that 904s came with the hubcaps without emblems. Those hubcaps should fit but I've never seen a 904 with them.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

A hubcap made in 65 would have a date stamp on it. Those caps did start with 356s and the first batch had no crests. All of the "no crest" hub caps had a date stamp of 3/63. Yes, they came on some of the 901 prototypes and on 904s along with very early production 64 356Cs. Lemmerz (the maker of the hub caps) stopped putting date stamps on the caps sometime in 1967 as far as I can tell and repops have no date stamps so there can be some confusion as to OE or aftermarket. The 65 ones would have a date stamp so are easily identified as "factory"

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a set like in Jim's picture with date stamp 1 65, that I will list on this site for sale between Christmas an NY if all Goes well.

here`s one with no date, but a logo of some kind
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by acoupe View Post
    here`s one with no date, but a logo of some kind
    Bill

I've got some of those, too. That is the Porsche logo. It appears on lots of parts.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim!.....I`m always learning

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    A hubcap made in 65 would have a date stamp on it. Those caps did start with 356s and the first batch had no crests. All of the "no crest" hub caps had a date stamp of 3/63. Yes, they came on some of the 901 prototypes and on 904s along with very early production 64 356Cs. Lemmerz (the maker of the hub caps) stopped putting date stamps on the caps sometime in 1967 as far as I can tell and repops have no date stamps so there can be some confusion as to OE or aftermarket. The 65 ones would have a date stamp so are easily identified as "factory"

Regards

Jim
    Jim-
    When did they use the hubcaps with the colored crest, I don't see many of those.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    Jim-
    When did they use the hubcaps with the colored crest, I don't see many of those.

---Adam
    You can Call Jim too

Enamel crests were available as an option as from April 1964 according to the 356 C parts book.