Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Year by year ultimate reference catalogue FRUSTRATED !!!

Year by year ultimate reference catalogue FRUSTRATED !!!

Hi
    I am restoring a RHD 1967S and like most people I think I spend more time researching or asking this wonderful forum for information

I buy the right part (very expensive ) only to later find out it the wrong part and then try and buy the right part which is NLA. So why not a have recourse that tells me NLA but available from Restoration Design Pxxxxx or Auto foreign 58678 etc

I read the books that tell me the differences between different years (most of the time correct)

But what I want is to find a resource that has all the information that is in the forum in one place

It's all here and shouldn't be difficult to pull it together and make each model year unique (should it??)

Example: MY 1967 front trunk paint..

Step 1 Black Primer
    Step 2 body color
    Step 3 hand painted satin black ( rustoleum satin black is good)
    Step 3 black textured finish (Wurth stone guard XXXX)

Slam panel 901 xxx xxx xx
    Washer bottle bracket - Restoration Design XXXXXX
    Washer pump bracket -NLA (no other source)
    Felt material for washer bottle bracket - Auto foreign XXXXXX

ETC ETC

A definitive guide by model/build year

Or is it just me??

That would be waaaay to easy
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

There is no such thing and ,if there was, it would be full of misinformation

Regards

Jim

Hi Ray, I completely understand your point. I think you need to enjoy your quest...that's part of the hobby. I was thinking to bundle all I gathered for my 67s and 73s projects. Also to receive reactions to obtain further info. Off course I also had to do and redo and have bought parts that I didn't use after all (e.g. New Porsche Classic washer bottle for '67). I plan to do that when my professional projects would slow down...but the last 10 years at least it was the opposite. If we are lucky to retire once ...

PCA made a decision decades ago that they would only reward clean cars. Authenticity was never a consideration with the PCA. Here's just one example of a judging manual.

As a result we have some of the worst documentation of any marque. And, there is no attempt to create a real data base. We're all on our own here

I'll stop now.

Richard Newton
    Preservation, Restoration and Conservation

Actually there are a couple of old-fashioned books on the subject which are quite good. Dr Brett Johnson's and Peter Morgan's.

https://www.amazon.com/911-912-Porsc.../dp/0929758005

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Pors.../dp/1901432165

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    PCA made a decision decades ago that they would only reward clean cars. Authenticity was never a consideration with the PCA. Here's just one example of a judging manual.

As a result we have some of the worst documentation of any marque. And, there is no attempt to create a real data base. We're all on our own here

I'll stop now.

Richard Newton
    Preservation, Restoration and Conservation
    Richard, sorry, this isn't remotely true. Speaking only for myself as a three time PCA national concours judge, there are a myriad of original, primary sources that we draw from to confirm authenticity. The factory workshop manual, parts manual, period photographs and documented examples of original cars all combine to guide originality, along with the living memory of club members that bought these cars new. If there were a protest (our club provides for such a proceeding) these sources would be used as evidence.

The trouble with a manual is that as new sources are uncovered and our body of knowledge grows a manual goes out of date. Brett's book was great in the day, as was Peter Morgan's book, but the evolving state of knowledge since they were published has revealed many of the details therein to be incorrect. Which I'm not saying is bad, just that we have better information today.

Look at Seinfeld's first 911 (does he still own it?) -- this car was restored 15 years ago by the Factory itself, and yet there are a number of elements that are just flat-out wrong. Is that bad? No, it's just that the rise in interest in our cars (and corresponding economic appreciation) has increased the focus on details and has driven lots of answers out of the woodwork.

I think the trouble with a prescribed originality manual is that it makes it hard for the state of the art to evolve, and it tends to force codification of things that we really aren't sure about. Like for example, fastener color. There are those (some on this board) who claim DEFINITIVELY that a fastener had a particular color chromate coating, but they can't prove it, because a definitive reference hasn't come to light. So right now there are concours-winning, Gmund level cars with yellow fasteners in the engine compartment, and I can't score them off, even though when I restored my own car I used silver.

By the way "real data bases" exist and they are the product of 1,000 hours or more of detailed, meticulous research, and they are part of what causes the best cars to be as highly valued as they are. One of the biggest parts of any restoration is research, and it's not costless, and it's not perfect. So I'm not surprised that professional restorers don't freely share this information on the Internet.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I have a 69S and have been slowly doing a mechanical/interior restoration. Though I doubt it will ever be judged I have been trying to get it as close as I possibly can to what it was originally. I am surprised that there isn't anything more definitive. Last car we did was a 71 Jaguar E-type and the JNCA has an entire guide that we followed. Did take some of the fun out of the research though (especially with a 69 which is an oddball year in the 911 world).

http://www.jcna.com/sites/default/fi...e-type2(1).pdf
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Brett's book was great in the day, as was Peter Morgan's book, but the evolving state of knowledge since they were published has revealed many of the details therein to be incorrect. Which I'm not saying is bad, just that we have better information today.
    Do you know if anyone has done a critical review of Brett's book that identifies the discrepancies, based on newer information? It would be interesting to see what has been found to be incorrect and the source of information (for example, documented original cars) that supported changing the information.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevesob View Post
    Do you know if anyone has done a critical review of Brett's book that identifies the discrepancies, based on newer information? It would be interesting to see what has been found to be incorrect and the source of information (for example, documented original cars) that supported changing the information.

Steve
    Brett is working on doing that himself. It is a huge project!

Regards

Jim