Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Thoughts on When '68 Engines had smog pumps

Seeking Thoughts on When '68 Engines had smog pumps

I was recently told that MY 1968 engines were not equipped with smog pumps until the engines shifted over to magnesium cases (approximately November, 1967).

Does anyone have documentation that would confirm or refute this?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    I was recently told that MY 1968 engines were not equipped with smog pumps until the engines shifted over to magnesium cases (approximately November, 1967).

Does anyone have documentation that would confirm or refute this?

Thank you.
    Mike

That is true. All smog equipped engines in 68 were mag case engines and had engine numbers starting with 328 for 338 if it had a Sporto. This is good for both plain 911s and 911Ls.
    The "internal" designations on the case were either 901/14 or 901/17 if it were a Sporto.

Ciao

Jim

jim,

my engine was #3280052, but was aluminum. so, based on multiple sources of related information, you seem to be saying that the engine # was continuous for '68 (328xxxx), but the internal designation has a "1" after the slash.

okay, i think my brain can digest that.

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    jim,

my engine was #3280052, but was aluminum. so, based on multiple sources of related information, you seem to be saying that the engine # was continuous for '68 (328xxxx), but the internal designation has a "1" after the slash.

okay, i think my brain can digest that.
    Are you sure that it was 328 and not 308?

Mike, an aluminum 68 case should start with 308,318(Euro 911Ls), 208, 218 (Euro 911Ts), 408 or 418 (Euro 911Ss). The Porsche spec book seems to suggest that there were no aluminum case engines delivered in US 68 cars.
    The aluminum case engines all had internal designations that went like 901/0X and all the mag case engines went like 901/1X.

I don't believe there were ever any casting provisions built in for air pump mounting and driving on alum. case motors.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I don't believe there were ever any casting provisions built in for air pump mounting and driving on alum. case motors.
    I'm with you, Ed.

Regards

Jim

First, if Mayo and Breazeale both say that the aluminum engine has no smog pump provisions, then I am satisfied that my aluminum engine never had one. When those two guys say something, it's probably also shown in the Guttenberg Bible and the Dead Sea Scrolls. (I doubt that they went to college with Jesus, but I think they knew his fraternity brothers.)

Second, I have confirmed that the cardex shows that the correct engine for my car was 3280052, and the engine I found was 3280221.

So, if I am keeping everything straight, that seems to leave us with the fact that the '68 aluminum engines had NO smog pump; engines were numbered sequentially with mag cases (US 'normale' being 328xxxx); and the mag cases had a different manufacture 901 number with a "1" after the slash (i.e., 901/14 or 901/17, rather than 901/02).

This is very helpful, and frankly, for once, makes my restoration a bit easier.

Again, I love the Early S Registry, with special thanks to Mayo and Breazeale in this episode.

Merry Christmas to all!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mshaver51; 12-16-2016 at 07:14 AM.

Mike

I am still of the belief that any motor starting with 328 is a Mag case, smog motor. Please look carefully at your motor and re-confirm the engine number and whether it is a mag or aluminum case. I losing sleep over this.

Ciao

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Mike... Please look carefully at your motor and re-confirm the engine number and whether it is a mag or aluminum case.
    Mike, the serial number for a 60s aluminum case will face to the rear, while the serial number for a mag case will face to the right. That's a simple way to identify the type of case you have.
    You can also look underneath, between the oil return tubes, to find the Honsel (aluminum) or Mahle (magnesium) trademark.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

this is my data suggesting both Al & Mg existed with build #'s over 12100 being Mg.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers