Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 65/66 engine value question

65/66 engine value question

Hi all, new here as i was told this is the place to find out about early stuff. I have a running 65 or 66 engine (902725) in my 73 and wondering on current value in or out the car as i'd like to sell it soon. TIA

Pictures? If you find the person looking for this engine for a match it is gold. If not pictures are very necessary I offer 4K sight unseen.

Thanks for the info. If that's all its worth then i'll just leave it in the car. A friend led me to believe it was worth selling separately.

Its worth more than 4 but you need to post pics to get a better determination of value. The case alone is worth more than 4. There are a lot of details about an engine that will raise or lower its value.

Yes indeed, If you want money buyers need lots of detail and pics or else it is site unseen. Sorry for being a little sarcastic with the 4K but really is impossible to give you a value without detail.
    PS Post pics of your 73 as well. You will find interest here on that as well
    Last edited by trdking; 12-22-2016 at 03:23 AM.

Banned
    Is your '73 early or late? (MFI or CIS?)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    The value of your 901/01 engine will depend a lot on whether it still has its Solex carburetors, "tandem" fuel pump, throttle linkage, and air cleaner. Those parts alone are worth several thousand dollars.

A lot of early cars were "upgraded" over the years and now there's a lot of value in restoring them to their original configuration,

According to the little specification booklet, engine 902725 had:
    • Solex carburetors with the "middle" jets (900324 15-Dec-64 through 903359 7-Dec-65),
    • Center-lubricated camshafts (up to engine 903069),
    • "12 volt" flywheel (after 901639). That's VW terminology--finding a starter for the earlier "6 volt" flywheel could be a challenge.

It probably came in a car delivered late in calendar year 1965 (1966 model year). The Early 911S 2016 roster says chassis # 302580 has engine # 902639 and chassis # 302608 has engine # 902873.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I picked up this flyer at the Phoenix Club back in March this year:

Name:  Solex_Engine_Flyer.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  123.5 KB

This was a freshly-rebuilt engine which was actually running on a stand at the Phoenix Club. I think the price was later cut to something like $ 50k.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Thanks for all the info. wow i I had no idea about those insane asking prices for just an engine. I am not expecting anything near that. Mine does not have the Solexes or pumps, its running zeniths. My car is a 73.5.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milesaway View Post
    Thanks for all the info. wow i I had no idea about those insane asking prices for just an engine. I am not expecting anything near that. Mine does not have the Solexes or pumps, its running zeniths. My car is a 73.5.
    A lot of the value would be in having the "Full Monty" '65 engine with complete running Solexes. Still, the sand cast aluminum case and the center-lubricated cams should bring a premium. If somebody's out there looking for engine # 902725 he'll be very happy to find it.

One other unique feature of the early engines is forged steel rocker arms with bronze bushings. Of course, making the most easily changed part of the valve train so that it absolutely won't break is a mixed blessing...
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Banned
    I happen to have a complete 73.5 motor.

Let me know if you want to work some type of trade.