Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The locations of the magic numbers on body panels '65 '66

The locations of the magic numbers on body panels '65 '66

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the locations on the body panels where the magic numbers (last 3 of the vin) needs to be?

- Doors (central of the door?)
    - Dashboard (here is the full vin number)
    - Engine lid (on the verticale element under the engine grill)
    - On the front fenders (where the headlights needs te be install)

Any other locations?
    If possible some pictures of the exact locations? Certainly that one of the front fenders.

Thanks!

Under the hinge on the hood; stamped on the hood not the hinge! I've not been able to verify mine; probably not original, though it is factory. ...cliff
    Also, have heard of #s on bumpers. Not sure of years & I have looked at my 66 without digging too deep and see Nothing!
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Cliff,

Do you have pictures of this under the hinge on the hood?
    Would be great to see this, so I can understand the exact location.
    Bumpers that I did not knew.
    Thanks

They should be: in the headlamp buckets on each fender, under the hinge on the hood, in the central strut of the engine deck lid, and on the inside of the doors... they should be easy to find if they're there...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

I don't have Any pictures. Not sure which side of the hood either. My hood , I'm sure is not original as it has no sound proof material. It is old, before reproductions.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

The fender picture doesn't help to show the location, but what it might look like if you find it. The location is, as you indicate, where the lights are installed, on the side (I forget whether it is inboard or outboard, but I think outboard).

Name:  Fender Chassis Number.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  61.9 KB

The door location can be matched by matching the passenger door features shown in the picture with that of your own door.

Name:  Door Chassis Number.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  31.7 KB

I have not looked at the hood or dashboard, yet. My engine deck lid is not original, so I haven't even looked at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Winters View Post
    Hello,

Can anyone tell me the locations on the body panels where the magic numbers (last 3 of the vin) needs to be?

- Doors (central of the door?)
    - Dashboard (here is the full vin number)
    - Engine lid (on the verticale element under the engine grill)
    - On the front fenders (where the headlights needs te be install)

Any other locations?
    If possible some pictures of the exact locations? Certainly that one of the front fenders.

Steve

Thanks!

Most can be found here:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...he-Knife/page2
    not sure if I have ever seen the one on the front hood. Please post a photo if you do find one.

On the Karmann cars there is also the Karmann body #. They are similar to, but not the same as, the VIN or production numbers until 1970 model year. The Karmann number appears in the speaker recess for about 3000 bodies, then moves to the tunnel:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by davep; 12-28-2016 at 04:16 PM.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

So we have body panels with the 3 last digits for the early cars:

1. The centrale strut on the engine lid

Name:  P9220013.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  60.4 KB

2. The doors (Maybe a picture a little bit more overal view would be nice)

Name:  Door Chassis Number.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  31.7 KB

3. Headlight buckets (I am wondering if the number is on both sides on the inside - I mean the side of the hood, like on the picture)

Name:  P9220010.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  48.0 KB

4. Under the hinge on the hood (please post pictures, because wondering where they are)

Also a general question: What does this X means below or next to the 3 digit number? Sometimes it's below, sometimes next - is there a reason? Are there also cars without that letter?

On the link Davep, gave me you can see this picture. Does anyone can give the location? Because if this is the doorpanel then the location of the digits is different then above.

Name:  P9220011.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  55.9 KB

So was this done on the cars for assembly purposes? Each piece pre-fitted, painted and then reassembled? Interesting!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    So was this done on the cars for assembly purposes? Each piece pre-fitted, painted and then reassembled? Interesting!
    You can see that in some of the early factory videos on Youtube. Everything gets fitted and gapped and beaten into submission, then it all comes apart for paint. So they had to have some way of keeping track of the pieces like fenders, doors etc that were removed for paint.

Once the stampings all became consistent, it wasn't so necessary any more. Doors from one car would fit another, so it really didn't matter.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK