Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current standard exhaust system to order?

Post Current standard exhaust system to order?

Greetings all, just making plans for 2017...

What is the widely recommended standard in replacement exhaust for 73 2.4(s) MFI? The original exchangers and muffler have some loose metal on them, and thinking a fresh setup would be nice and maybe smoother, perhaps in stainless.
    --
    1973 911s / 1994 964 Turbo / 1997 993c2

A big question , ten people and ten answers . I personally like the muffler sold by Porsche , much quieter than the Dansk , and a nice set of used original SSI's if you can find them .

member #1515
    SSI's are the only way to go. Original style muffler, if you are sporty, have it modified to sport specs. I've had just about every type on my car and ended up back with stock.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

What's an "original" SSI?

So you're saying a new Porsche muffler (painted plain steel) bolted to SSI stainless exchangers?

Are these not "original" SSI exchangers? http://www.aasesales.com/collections...oloc-s54-1550f
    --

A little history on a California company that no longer exists and was sold to Dansk...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hp?32605-SSI-s
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I have a set of "original" SSIs...and a set of post Dansk purchase SSIs......they are IDENTICAL to my critical eyes as to material, craftsmanship, and fit. I was skeptical when I purchased the Dansk pieces, but was not disappointed.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

member #1515
    I would not worry if they are the Original SSI's or the Dansk version. They are still much better than what came on the car.
    As to muffler, over the years, I had original, ANSA, Bursch, factory converted to sport. They all made more noise, but no real performance benefit.
    In the end the stock muffler, has good noise level with no downsides.
    David

Thanks much for the thoughts.

I'm reading somewhere that the SSIs require changing oil hoses, it that still required with the current product?

Also, is it certain that the "sport" muffler from Dansk is no good on a stock 2.4MFI S motor?
    --

member #1515
    I don't know about the Dansk version, but the factory style sport muffler, (just a modified normal muffler), requires richening the mixture a bit. From the dyno sheets I've seen the sport modified muffler, provides a few more HP at the very top end, but gives up some mid-range torque.
    Can't remember if my oil lines are different from stock.
    The SSI's are just such a great upgrade, lovely work, better flow, and no worries about carbon monoxide poisoning.
    I've had mine since they first came out. It took a while to get the second side, there was a delay in producing the second side.
    If you are going Dansk, order it in stainless too.
    David

RSTtarga, are you speaking of the original SSI. Or the Dansk version? I realize the latter ones had some minor production blips if memory serves correctly.....cliff
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.