Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front Lisc. Plate Bracket

Front Lisc. Plate Bracket

Name:  911 frt. Lisc. Plate Bracket.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  79.3 KB

Was this list. plate bracket a factory item? Or, did someone fabricate it?

Richard Newton

Factory bracket Richard,,,
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Legally, any front plate needed to be vertical mounted, for better reading by Police etc..hence the OEM bracket.
    Visually , I never was a fan of it and actually prefer w/o it. Nowadays on a vintage car, its usually accepted.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-15-2017 at 05:30 AM.
    Registry member No.773

We don't use a front plate here is FL but I had never seen this bracket before. Now I have to check and see if I have holes in my front where this may have been attached at one time.

Richard Newton
    Is Your 911 Staying Warm?

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    Legally, any front plate needed to be vertical mounted, for better reading by Police etc..hence the OEM bracket.
    Visually , I never was a fan of it and actually prefer w/o it. Nowadays on a vintage car, its usually accepted.
    Here in California, it is the law. You must run a front plate. I do see a lot of leeway omitting the plate on classic cars here Except if you run the toll roads. They like a picture of the front and back of your car. Cops on the toll roads will pull you over and cite you for no front plate for this reason

its pretty ungainly...

Something at which to aim LIDAR.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    That's a factory front bracket for the European front number plate which is wider and narrower than an American license plate. For better or worse, I decided to adapt that to mounting my front license plate. Now that I have expensive Year of Manufacture license plates I'm damn well going to show them.

I believe the factory solution for American front license plates was two little moldings or castings which were to be screwed right at the rubber deco--maybe even through the rubber trim. I can't find a drawing of those right now.

License plate mounting varies quite a bit. I've seen long-hood 911s with a front plate screwed directly to the front bumper. Previous owners screwed the rear license on my car directly to the rear "center part" but many cars have a VW license plate bracket there.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

That's why I started this discussion. Most Americans seem to have screwed the plates directly to the bumper.

The fact it's a Euro part also explains why we haven't seen this item very often.

btw - What is a Year of Manufacture plate?

Richard Newton
    FIA Historic Rules