Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballpark Value on a 71 Targa Matching Numbers

Ballpark Value on a 71 Targa Matching Numbers

Looking for a ballpark value on a 71 Targa I looked at today. Seems like prices on T's are down big time compared to the E's and S's. This is/was a CA car, one owner until three years ago. The car was original Bahia red black int., it does have the original motor and trans and the guy drove it into his garage and hasn't touched it. It has like 87K miles and is pretty much rust-free. Mostly complete but needs interior and paint as well as the Targa top redone. It appears to be 95% complete and there are a lot of extra original parts that are in original condition with lots of patina. It does have a complete set (5) deep sixes and some new parts. Whats a good ballpark number to offer. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Seems like it needs a bit of work. Are you able to do a lot of it yourself? That would impact how i would personally value it.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Seems like it needs a bit of work. Are you able to do a lot of it yourself? That would impact how i would personally value it.
    I can do a lot of minor work but the paint and body as well as an engine rebuild (if it needs it) I leave to the pro's.

My .02...I'm in the same boat in terms of capability and would not pay more than about $20K so I could at least break even...take your time and know what you're buying...best of luck in your search.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Sitting on a rented trailer behind a rented truck in phoenix somewhere. From the looks you already bought it! Congrats, looks like a good start

~J~
    air cooled only

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dielen View Post
    Sitting on a rented trailer behind a rented truck in phoenix somewhere. From the looks you already bought it! Congrats, looks like a good start
    Nope I have not bought it yet. The guy knows a lot about Porsches and in fact has several other cars including a 356 cab. He bought it three years ago (pic on trailer) and says " I probably paid too much". The wiring under the front hood is also mostly disconnected. Its one of those deals if I offer to little I think it will put him off. Offer too much and end up over invested. Just looking some good numbers

the guy knows a lot about Porsches and he wants $100k - like those rotting T's in the back 40 only $50K
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    My .02...I'm in the same boat in terms of capability and would not pay more than about $20K so I could at least break even...take your time and know what you're buying...best of luck in your search.
    i think Peter is on the money, last year i purchased a '72 E with non matching complete MFI motor and 915 'box for $32K AUD and like Peter most of the work on the car is being contracted out and thats where the costs really start to add up, good luck !
    Craig
    Newcastle, Australia
    ESR #1479

1973 2.4E Coupe ex Hong Kong ex Norfolk Island ex New Zealand now in Oz
    (Autowerks restored stunner)
    http://www.autowerks.com.au/porsche_projects/index.html

1972 2.4E Targa ex Germany ex Japan now in Oz
    (another Autowerks project)

1969 built E based Vintage Racer
    (another Autowerks beauty)
    http://s12.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true

This appears to be one of those projects that moves from owner to owner. Once the costs start to build each owner bails.

Keep in mind that no matter what the seller says you will not have all the parts. No one ever gets all the parts. Some went missing years ago.

Take a few minutes and start adding up the costs. Just make an estimate. Now double that estimate. It's going to cost more than that.

Whatever time frame you have in mind you need to multiply that by four. One year always turns into four years. I know. I've done a few projects.

If you do buy it purchase project car insurance. It might only be $100 a year. Your homeowners insurance will not cover this car.

Richard Newton
    Garage Fires

Unless one can do virtually all the repairs themselves (which you say you can't),, you might consider passing on this. Even at $20K it would not make any financial sense at all if everything has to be contracted out against the finished value of a Targa 'T'.