Thread: Need Photos of Installed Front Bumper Weights

Need Photos of Installed Front Bumper Weights

Friends,

There are several threads on the issue of those SWB bumper weights that the factory installed to stabilize handling, but most of the threads are getting old, and concern themselves primarily with whether re-installation of the weights is wise. My question is a little different. In one of the old threads, someone included a photo of page #"11 BO" "Detaching and Fitting Front Bumper." (I assume the page to be from the Repair Manual, but don't know that for sure.)

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...bumper+weights

It would really be helpful if someone could provide a photo of the front bumper weights, installed into the bumper. Does anyone have such a beast? I need to know how to position and orient the weights in my bumper.

Also, the adhesive for the weights is alleged to be epoxy, so i am guessing it won't be difficult to find a suitable product, but if anyone has suggestions on that, it would be appreciated, as well.

Thanks, as always, in advance.

I have the bumper removed with original weights on 911 #1744, will take photos soon. It is interesting how they're fitted, using the bumper brackets to hold them captive on each side -- they are heavy!!!.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Here are the photos, keep in mind the bumper is up-side-down.

There is a tab on the far end of the inside bumper that holds the weight in pace at one end. At the other end the bumper bracket holds it in place with a rubber pad sandwiched in between to prevent rattling. To R&R you need to remove the bracket.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Excellent reference John.....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

i love you guys. thanks.

before john912's photos, i could not figure out what those rubber spacers were for. now i know that, too.

interestingly, the center hole in my bumper brackets has been enlarged so much that a fender washer was required to keep the bolt head from dropping below the bracket. i tried several alternatives but the photo was very helpful in resolving the matter.

thank you.
    Last edited by mshaver51; 01-25-2017 at 06:30 AM.